17

Elsie gave a sudden fidget in the chair then and opened her eyes again. "Have I ever thanked you?" She pulled her legs up and tucked them underneath herself. Placing her hands on her knees she inclined her head and smiled. "Thank you."

"I don't quite see what you have to thank me for. But you're welcome." Charles replied casually with a shrug.

Elsie frowned then and shook her head. "I don't think you quite understand how awful my life was before this started. Though sure...we're all gathered to undertake a seemingly impossible task. Even that is bearable to what my life was. So, thank you...and I am sorry."

"What for?"

Elsie's face sudden lightened up and a sheepish smile appeared on her face. She awkwardly scratched the back of her neck as she looked from the unlit fire to him. "For presuming you were a sexual predator." She said sounding as awkward as her expression and disposition.

"Considering how we approached you, I think you were allowed to think such a thing." Charles replied but then pointed a finger at her. "But no going thinking such a thing again." He wagged the finger in mock seriousness while she just smiled. Honestly, it had to be said, Charles did not think he had seen Elsie smile so much when not in company of his sister. Raven had this aura of just making everyone seem at peace, and happy. It was very hard to be in a bad mood around her. And quite quickly she and her ways had seemingly managed to pry Elsie out of the stoic shell he had first met her trying to hide away in. 

She held her hand up then. "I promise you."

"Yes, well, if you go back on your word I will know." Charles said while leaning his chin against his hand and looking to her lightly.

Elsie frowned and looked to her lap. Twiddling her fingers she glanced at him. "Can you not? I stick by what I said...what you can do genuinely terrifies me."

"May I ask why? I could quite easily turn around and say that what you do terrifies me too." Charles asked curiously. He pushed away from his hand and crossed his arms over his stomach as he leaned further back in the chair. He didn't pressure her for a response, but he was curious. Honestly though, when his powers first appeared, he too was terrified of them. What she said didn't surprise him, at all.

Elsie smirked, "Now if I remember rightly, you were quite intrigued. Like a little child in a sweet shop, you were in your element at finding me, let alone with what I can do. Though granted, I will give you that one, even if you weren't serious. Spontaneously combusting is worrying." She sighed and kicked her legs out from underneath herself and placed them over the arm of the chair. Leaning back against the arm behind her she placed her hands on her stomach and looked to him. "Someone's mind is their own. No one has a right to intrude on that. We all think things every day that we wish to keep secret...ever thought of going into the police force? You'd be wicked at finding liars, you seem quite smart too, you've got yourself a winning career right there." She ended up joking with a quiet laugh.

"I'll make a deal with you," Charles said while shuffling forwards and holding his hand out to her. Elsie moved and leaned forwards with a curious look on her face. "I will not read your mind, unless I really need to. And this is only if a dire situation crops up and I have no choice." He said honestly. Elsie looked thoughtful, she didn't wish to dwell over what serious moment would cause for mind invasion, but she nodded slowly when it seemed he wished to continue. "Sound like a fair deal, Elsie?"

"Sure," she tentatively reached out and placed her hand in his and gave it a firm yet gentle shake.

Charles smiled, "You're getting better."

"Hm?" Elsie raised an eyebrow curiously, she didn't know what he was referring to.

"Contact, you're not so hesitant." Charles said slowly while letting her hand go. It was true, she seemed to waste little time to think of following through with the earlier action.