Entrusted to the Care of RoboDad

Start from the beginning

The boy coughed, uncomfortably, and in a second he'd vanished from sight; foot falls echoing down the passageway.

Aqualad had a small carving (from what looked like a polymetallic deposit) that he claimed resembled his mother; a gift to keep him company when he started his mandatory military service at age twelve. 

"It's always been of great Solace to me..." He murmured, face averted. "I suppose I'd label it as a comfort item."

That intrigued Red Tornado. a comfort item. That was another one of those phrases that was unfamiliar, lacking in his information centers. Connecting to the internet, he searched 'comfort item, definition'. The first answer that he found read:
'A comfort object, transitional object, or security blanket is an item used to provide psychological comfort, especially in unusual or unique situations, or at bedtime for children. Among toddlers, comfort objects may take the form of a blanket, a stuffed animal, or a favorite toy, and may be referred to by nicknames.'

Following what Red Tornado knew about childhood PTSD and emotional development, and from what he'd just read, this seemed like a clear cut example of what a comfort item is. 

Though this didn't fully explain a martian heartbeat pod, the description seemed to generally fit. This also furthered the hypothesis that the team were children who simply preferred to be referred to as young adults. He would keep that in mind for further investigation.

"I will keep it safe and out of harms way." Red promised. He placed the small, cherished doll in the same bag as the others, and told Aqualad that he would keep it safe and secret.

The trend continued with Artemis, presenting a plush toy, similar to Robin's, but apparently in the shape of a brown bear (dressed in a human-like blue dress and apron). "If anyone knew-- Not the team, NOT the league!" She snapped.

"Artemis, may I ask why dependency on Comfort items must be a secret?"

"Seriously? C'mon, if the league knew I need a teddy bear to sleep, they'd think I'm some sort of baby who needs her security blanket!"

"A security blanket is a synonym for a comfort item."

"IT'S NOT-- It's not the same!" She huffed. "It's a secret!" She thrust the toy at him and stormed out. "No one can see her!"

Red Tornado handled the toy delicately, tucking it away with the others. Artemis' statements had given him a missing link: Why did they want to hide these comfort objects that they adored to much? Because they were ashamed. Why were they ashamed of needing comfort? Well, Red wasn't sure; if he needed something to maintain his physical form, he wouldn't feel any embarrassment in perusing it. 

Then again, the team was being raised under their mentors: mentors who set an expectation for how they should behave. That theory still didn't help much, for all the team knew, their mentors might have comfort objects ass well, and also be keeping them secret.

Humans never cease to confuse him.

This sentiment of embarrassment was echoed by Kid Flash. "I'm a nerd as is, I get it, but I draw the line here!" He glanced around nervously. "Mr. Superhearing isn't here, is he?" He showed Red what seemed to be a simple brimmed cap. "Everyone thinks it's so pathetic I'm such a flash fanboy as is..."

"Is it not acceptable for you to have interests, Kid Flash?"

"I... my aunt got it for me when I was little, when we were at the zoo.... And I got to meet the Flash and had him sign it..." He let out a breath and furled up his face. "Wore it every day, but not in public after I found out who Flash was. I like to bring it with me, good memories, but... I don't know, the other's don't get it. you don't get it! Just..." He offered it to Red "Under the table, huh?"