Entrusted to the Care of RoboDad

-Red Tornado is the best den mother. He may not understand children, but goddamn if he doesn't try-

"Red?" Red Tornado turned and observed Superboy: head down, shoulder's hunched. Red noticed this was the same posture he took on whenever he'd broken something and expected a scolding. "I... I need you to do something."

"Superboy, what's the matter?"

"I need you to hide something for me."

Red watched him with curiosity and suspicion. "What is it?"

Superboy shifted on his feet. "I have this thing. I keep it in my backpack, and I sleep with it. Sometimes..."

"Continue." Red prompted.

Superboy's mouth hung open. He turned and fled the room. Red didn't chase, Superboy would return when he was ready.

And indeed he did, half an hour later. "Red!" He hurried into the room, thrusting a fist at the android. "You can't tell. Hide it until tonight."

Red held out his hand and Superboy placed an eight inch, plastic, Superman doll on it. "Why do you want me to hide it, Superboy?"

"It's a secret, you can't tell anyone!" With that, he left, refusing to answer any questions.

Tornado thought it was strange, but it got much stranger when Ms. martian approached with a similar credence.

"Hey Red..." She shuffled her feet. "so, uh. So on mars we have really big families."

"I have heard that, Ms. Martian."

"So, with only a couple parents, they can't raise everyone at once. I was a middle-younger child, so as soon as I was out in the world I was mostly left alone." They rambled on, without aim. "We have these things that are supposed to help raise large martian families... they just sound like a heartbeat, and they're warm, and they can keep martian children out of the way and calm for hours..."

"Is there a purpose to you sharing this with me?" Red asked. "Or do you simply want to talk? I will adjust my responses accordingly."

"Well, It's kinda silly..." They admitted, cheeks turning two or three Hexadecimal codes darker. "You see, I brought mine with me when I came to earth. Incase I got homesick, you know? Well, With everyone sleeping together tonight..." She wriggled in place, looking away. "They just wouldn't understand it. Is it okay if you hold on to it for me until later?"

Tornado wondered if this is why Superboy had handed over his doll, but having promised secrecy, it was maintained. It fact; "Would you like me to keep this transaction a secret?"

"Yes please." She smiled and enveloped his metal casing in a hug. "Thanks Red. You're the best." 

Red Tornado took the small, glowing, pod, and placed in into the same Armory bag as Superboy's doll. 

Red Tornado was unsure what the fixation on these objects. If the young heroes were so attached to these items, why would they want to hide them so badly? Usually, if children showed fixation on an object, they were proud of it, and wouldn't hesitate to explain to anyone who asked. 

Things only escalated is strangeness as Robin arrived, two hours early, holding something behind his back. He revealed a worn, plush toy, sewn in the shape of an elephant. He squeezed it one last time and passed it over. "You need to keep him safe for me."

"Robin, may I ask why?" 

"I just-- I can't sleep without him, had him since I was a little kid. he--" Robin hastily corrected. "I mean, it's my stuffie-- Stuffed animal, I mean."

More Young Justice TrashOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara