Family Dinner

-This story is a SuperBat AU set roughly in November Year 1 -

"You're really doing this?" Clark asked.

"I am," His boyfriend replied, pulling into the alley beside the hidden zeta entry. The team had after school training today. "With Tornado escorting Ms. Martian to her cheer championships this weekend, he would be left all alone."

"And you don't trust him by himself?"

"And I don't think a five-month-old should be left unsupervised." He corrected coldly.

Conner's existence had really thrown a spanner in Clark and Bruce's dynamic. Finding out that Clark had a bastard son was bound to put strain on their relationship, but what was truly frustrating to Bruce was how Clark refused to acknowledge the boy in any sort of personal way. Not to mention that since Conner had been foundational in the team's creation, and was tangentially related to the league, Clark claimed discussing the boy's existence was 'talking shop' and shouldn't be done in their personal lives. Bruce did not subscribe to that idea.

The back door opened and the teens piled into the backseat. "Hey B!" Dick chirped. "Hi Clark."

"Hi Dick," Clark replied, glancing over to greet the child.

Bruce pulled out onto the main road. Dick waited, thinking Clark would greet his clone too. He didn't.

"So, Superboy-- or I guess I should call you Conner-- how was school?" Bruce asked, watching the kid in the rearview mirror. He wasn't quite human enough to pass as human, but he was more than Kryptonian enough to look like superman.

"Fine." The boy said, glaring at his feet.

Bruce's eyes flickered between the road, the mirror, and Clark in the passenger seat. He tried again to break the ice. "Are there any classes you like so far?"

Conner shrugged.

Clark let out a frustrated huff, leaning against the window.

Dick, noticing the growing tension, took over the conversation again: "So, how about the mission last week? We only destroyed one piece of private property."

Bruce smiled a little at the boy's tenacious attempts at lightening the mood. "You're lucky it's owned by one of our subsidiaries, otherwise the money would have to come from the team's delegated funds"

"The same funds you don't let us access cause we're 'too impulsive'?"

Bruce glanced in the mirror again, Conner had mimicked his father's posture, leaning against the window.

"Conner, What did you think of the mission last week?"

The boy muttered something. 

"He asked you a question." Clark scolded, turning in his seat to face Conner.

"I said it was fine!" The boy snapped.

The car went silent. They'd stopped at a light and the tick of the dashboard took over the atmosphere. Clark readjusted his position and the upholstery squeaked slightly. Bruce coughed.

"Well," Dick said, "We'll try not to break anything next time."

The light turned green and they all shot back in their seats with how quickly Bruce accelerated, like a bat out of hell he burned rubber towards the manor. 

They got home pretty quickly, and upon doffing their shoes, Dick invited Conner upstairs to play video games. Conner, preferring the company of his friend to Batman's, agreed.