Chapter 22 | Nightmare

Start from the beginning

Frantically, my eyes dart around the room, searching for my phone that somehow magically disappeared from my pocket. Where could it be?

"If you're looking for your phone, It's not here. I sent it to the tech department to make sure that Mathias didn't bug it," Blake says hastily, as he throws away all of the bloodied napkins and dirty instruments.

For no specific reason, this angers me beyond words.

"You just took it without asking me?" I snap. He gives me a side-eye after he applies hand sanitizer.

"Brynne," He starts, "I don't think you understand how much danger you are in right now."

Really? How much danger? I was tortured for three hours straight. I think I know how much 'danger' I can handle.

"No, but I know who put me in this danger in the first place." Maybe that was a bit too harsh, but it's true.

Blake scrunches his eyebrows and walks toward me. He attempts to place his hand on my arm, but I instinctively move away and breathe harshly. His defeated blue eyes stare into my soul. Sensing his regret, I look away and rest my head back.

"Okay, I'll let you get some rest," He sighs as he walks towards the door. His broad back tightens to appear unaffected by my rejection. I can see right through his facade. He doesn't want to leave.

Part of me wants him to stay. Tell me everything that's happened over the past four years. Tell me about school and running this 'business.' Every little milestone and memory. I want to know everything about him. And more.

The other part of me wants him to leave. To leave and never come back. It would save us both loads of heartbreak, especially since we've gotten too close over the past few days. The more time I spend with him, the stronger my feelings will become. And that's the last thing that I need right now, more complications. Plus, he's not good for me. He's dangerous to be around.

Why does that make me want him more?

The door shuts behind him, and I am left drowning in my thoughts. What if I wasn't sick? Would I let myself go for Blake? Our relationship is anything but easy. But I think that's what would make it special. Feelings of regret take over my soul as I think about what could be if I wasn't dying. I let myself dream about our make-believe future together.

After a couple of minutes of imagining, the pain of my injuries sets in. Gruesome shocks of burning run down my arms and legs. Almost instantly after, a wave of exhaustion rushes over me, and my eyelids fall into their place. As I fall asleep, I hope that I can escape from this nightmare called reality.

———————————————————————

"Are you going to tell her?"

Faint familiar voices pull me out of my sweat-filled slumber. It sounds like they are talking right outside of the medical room. I listen in as they continue their conversation.

"No, she doesn't need to know."

I know that voice anywhere.

"But Mathias tortured her for three hours. Wouldn't she be happy that you killed him?"

What?

Mathias is dead?

Anger takes over me as Blake answers.

"I risked starting a mafia war with the Spanish when I killed him. I don't want to risk losing her either. She would never forgive me if she found out."

He killed Mathias after I begged him not to?

I quickly get out of the bed and ignore the sharp agony that runs through my right knee. As quick as I can limp, I make my way to the doorway.