Until strange men in all black rolled into town...

"Who are they?" Mason asked one of the old flower shop ladies as he was carrying crates of tulips from a white delivery truck into the store. He'd been helping them all morning before his shift at work, the old bookstore man forcing him to take a break instead of working overtime but Mason had managed to sneak away to help the flower store women. While he was helping them, these very large black SUV's suddenly rolled down the street kicking up a lot of dust much to the flower women's distress.

"Oh, some corporategroup or something. Every now and then, they try to buy up land in country areas like this as a way to expand their company's territory, resources, or whatever corporate reason they have. It's really annoying because they never care for the environment so they usually buy up a portion of land, use it trying to mass produce something and when that doesn't work pack up and leave. That or leave their 'weakest links' to operate it," one of the older women said, the four flower workers grumbling about how they have no respect for the environment.

"Actually, this doesn't appear to be some corporate fat-cats from the big cities like it usually is. This is a small organization group that funds itself and bought Mr. Jerkins land after he passed but sold his crops lands between Mrs. Torben and Mr. Alistair. They just wanted the house and his old bunker," another said as they watched more trucks and SUV's drive by kicking up even more dust to their distress. "Protect the flowers!"

Mason hadn't thought much about them, working wherever he could, until the very next day which was, regretfully the full moon. Mason had great anxiety about the full moon since he was such a weak werewolf. The myth that werewolves went berserk during the full moon wasn't entirely false, Mason sometimes saw wolf attacks in the news after a full moon, but not all acted like that. In Mason's case, he was forced to shift even though he knew he shouldn't and was stuck like that until morning and he had absolutely no way to prevent it. Not even staying indoors out of the moonlight could save him so Mason did the only thing he could. He snuck out of the bookstore man's house and disappeared into the nearby orchards. It was the closest thing to woods he could hide in for a couple of hours and, hopefully, if anyone spotted him they'd leave him alone thinking he was just a dog or something. So Mason made his way into the orchards, hid his clothes under a big pile of leaves hoping the old man wouldn't notice anything strange when Mason got home, and waited patiently for the moon to rise into the sky. Mason could already feel a strange tingle run through his body, the urge to shift into his wolf form becoming stronger the darker the sky got, but what Mason hadn't anticipated was the strange men skulking around in the dark just like he was. He spotted them too late, the men moving through the trees scouting the area, and they were almost on top of him, one about to tell him to go back home, when Mason had shifted suddenly before their very eyes.

That's when all hell broke loose...

--------------------

2 Weeks Later...

Mason nearly crashed into a tree as he was running for his life, his heart leaping into his throat as a silver arrow pierced the bark of the tree mere inches from his right shoulder before he took off to the left weaving through the trees. He wasn't sure how many of them there were but they had fanned out and were moving swiftly, armed to the max and ready to kill if need be but Mason had heard a few of them talking into earpieces or on their phone's how they wanted to bring him in alive. Not necessarily unharmed but alive.

"Target, ten o-clock!" someone called out and Mason could hear the arrow before he saw it, sailing through the air with a sharp whistle before it grazed past Mason's head cutting the boy's cheek deep enough to draw blood before it went flying into the darkness. Mason went the other way and nearly wept for joy when he saw lights through the gaps in the trees in front of him. "Get him before he gets to the...!" one of the men called, all of them putting another burst of speed into their run, but they all knew it didn't matter. Mason was roughly twenty paces ahead of them and that amount of distance gave the boy the perfect opportunity to jump onto the ferry boat just as it was leaving the dock. By the time the men made it onto the dock, the ferry was too far away to jump onto leaving them to stare after the red head who was gasping and wheezing behind a wooden crate.