Chapter 73

Real quick! Please read.

I'm going to be doing a lot of time skips and when it reads "X Amount of time Later", I mean from the very first incident. Like One Week from when they first saw him, One Month from when they first saw him, and so on. Thank you and hope you enjoy reading.

"GET OFF MY BUS!" the very angry bus driver snapped, fisting the back of Mason's shirt and pants and literally threw the red head off the bus who found himself sliding through some mud like a dirty slip 'n slide. It made it hard for him to scramble to his feet, Mason's feet slipping out from under him causing him to faceplant, before Mason started running as fast as he could dodging an empty glass soda bottle that shattered against the road pavement at Mason's heels. "Stowaways with no money to pay for their bus trip will get what's coming to them. If I ever see you on my bus route again, I'll give you the largest knuckle sandwich you've ever seen!" the balding man screamed at Mason's back while his passengers were stepping off onto the sidewalk watching Mason run. That or seeing how made shades of red the bus drivers face was turning, sweat bullets dripping down his face and he was practically wheezing from all that yelling. "Damn kids..."

Mason kept running until the bus stop was out of sight and collapsed in front of a bookstore startling a woman stepping out of the store just then. Mason laid there for a while to catch his breath, thanking the woman who offered her half full water bottle to him asking if he'd been attacked or injured seeing how filthy he was, before he finally stood up and finally looked around. He'd managed to hop onto the bus six hours ago while the bus driver was gone and had been roughly woken up by the man demanding payment for the ride so when Mason's clear lack of money became apparent to everyone the man didn't take it very well so Mason didn't have time to check where he was. The town he was in wasn't very big, mostly crops and orchards around with a very small neighborhood and a main street with a smattering of hole in the wall shops. The newest was the bookstore with a twenty year old paint job which had clearly been repainted so the town was pretty old. The rest of the occupants lived on farms around the area, lots of trucks and tractors around, and everything looked so simple and quiet. Until...

"You okay?" A voice asked, Mason looked up at the door to the bookstore opened hitting a bell overhead that jingled quietly breaking the quiet. Out stepped an older man with greying hair with thick sideburns, thick glasses slipped down to the bridge of his nose, and a kind look on his face that held a hint of concern and before Mason knew it he was being whisked upstairs over the bookstore and pushed into the bathroom for a shower. The man insisted on it and washing Mason's clothes, especially after he heard the boy's story about how he'd gotten so dirty. "That man needs a real chill pill or he's going to have a heart attack. Always yelling and getting mad for no reason. He threw a beer can at my grandson for stepping in front of his bus while he was driving but he was the one speeding down the street like a madman while my grandson was enjoying a stroll with his girl. Acts like a damn hooligan that man even though he's well into his fifties," the older man griped, huffing and puffing around the room while Mason sat in an armchair happily sipping some hot tea. It didn't taste good if he was being honest with himself but it was nice having something in his stomach to warm himself up.

"I can't exactly blame him for being mad at me though. I'm not saying the excuse of not having any money makes it okay to hop on the bus without paying but... I'm not sure. Could have been nicer about it I guess," Mason said with a shrug, watching the nice man continue to fume about it for a while before he finally moved on and offered Mason a job in the shop. "Really?" Mason asked and was really excited, thanking the man for being so nice to him and even giving him some of his grandson's clothes to wear.

Before Mason knew it he was living upstairs on the couch working at the counter in the bookstore, selling books to people and stocking the shelves with the older man. The people in town took a liking to Mason once they got to know him, mostly older folk who liked having a young strong... well, kind of strong person to help them around the town. Two weeks seemed to go by fast and Mason was so happy. He had something like a home here though he was planning to save up enough for his own place even though the older man insisted he didn't mind letting Mason stay with him. Mason had a steady income of money coming in! Everything was perfect.