Chapter 14: Helpless

"I will help you, however, I can." (Joyce, William. Jack Frost: The End Becomes The Beginning. Atheneum Books, 2018.)

~🌟~

House by house, Sandman and Pitch created their sand and combined the two creating a new sort of magic that strengthened each other's original. Seraphina always watching the two of them work together. It was a great night for all parties involved.

Soon enough the two men got the hang of creating the new type of sand and flew up into the starry night sky. They created mixed dreamlines, spreading interesting scary/fun dreams and PSA-type dreams.

Seraphina floated right next to the two a cloud keeping her from falling while she made another cloud for Sandman. "You two make a pretty good team," she commented. The two men looked up at her as she was observing above them having a bird's eye view of them and the world below them.

"Really?" Pitch asked. He was more the one controlling the dreamlines where Sandman created them then pasted them off to him.

"Yeah," Seraphina said getting up from her stomach and sitting down on the cloud, her legs handling off it. "You two have similar,—you both have similar personalities, and your jobs both deal with children while their sleeping—but you also have differences that complement each other."

"We do not have similar personalities," Pitch said turning to face his daughter with a face of assumption and confusion. Sandman matched his expression.

She motioned to their faces with her hands and a laugh. "Must I say more?"

***

The three of them sat on a cliff watching the sunrise. The bright, golden sun sat at the horizon slowly making its way upwards. Around it, its rays lit the sky making pastel colors spread around the canvas of the sky. Seraphina turned to her father.

"Say," Seraphina said breathing the comfortable silence, though her voice was welcomed by both men. "What aliment did Sandy have that made his powers go all weird? I think you told me but I don't remember."

"Hiccups," Pitch said without really thinking about it.

"Do his hiccups sound different because I don't think heard his hiccup once," Seraphina said.

Pitch turned over to Sandman who looked surprised himself it seemed that both men didn't realize that the hiccups were gone. "Do you think it went away on its own?" Pitch asked Sandman.

"Well, I don't think hiccups last long on their own anyway. About an hour or two for a normal human," Seraphina chimed in. Pitch and Sandman couldn't believe their ears. They tried to cure something that wouldn't last that long and go away on its own. It was complete silence.

Seraphina, Pitch, and Sandman all burst into laughter. Even the guardian of dreams laughed out loud with the father and daughter duo. They were far away from circulation and it was the morning. Barely any children were still sleeping as they would be getting ready for the incoming school day.