Chapter 2: Little Light

"You'll never bring light to my heart again, little man." (William, Joyce. Jack Frost: The End Becomes The Beginning. Atheneum Books, 2018.)

~🌟~

Sandman descended into the dark cave-like building. He had never dared to go inside before and was surprised to see the cages hanging from the ceiling. It was slanted at an angle as if the structure itself wanted him to fall. Sandman decided it was best to stay afloat on his dream cloud. Sandman explored the place as he searched for the villain. Not only were there cages which Sandman assumed he used to lock Tooth's baby teeth from their last encounter, but the lair also had bridges and escalators which was quite odd to Sandman because he could not wrap his head around it. Sandman assumed that Pitch found a cave and made it his lair like the last time, but how would he get human-made structures in there? It made no sense.

Something seemed to move in the shadows, something black. Sandman chased after it, transforming the cloud into something faster, a manta ray. It could fly through the air quicker and Sandman preferred it over the simple cloud.

Sandman also hit a wall as he couldn't see much of the lair since the natural light of the moon was barely enough. He quickly forced the sand animal upwards and did a sort of loop-a-loop. Sandman got off the manta ray and went into the castle-like structure. The building looked like it was carved mentally out of the rock like how a carpenter makes sculptures. It wasn't perfect but the shadows helped hide the imperfections. Sandman walked up the steps to what appeared to be an entrance. Pitch's lair seemed to have no sense in its architecture, like the drawing Relativity by M. C. Escher.

Right above him was a bridge. It stretched from one side of the cave to a staircase. It went over the long and wide staircase which Sandman was on. The bridge was at a weird angle in a weird spot and somehow did not fall even though it was long and only had two points of stature. Where it began and where it ended. Sandman feared that it might fight on him as a stone fell from the bridge. Sandman hiccuped and jumped back. The noise of his hiccup and the stone hitting the stone staircase echoed throughout Pitch's lair enormously, as if it had no end.

He looked up at the spot where the stone had fallen and noticed something else. It was the only yellow thing in the cave apart from him, his manta ray, and presumably the globe with its yellow shining dots symbolizing all the believers. Sandman got his manta ray and together they went to take a closer look at the yellow object.

As they approached the cell of which the yellow object was inside, Sandman found a ledge where he could sort of rest on. Sandman inspected the enclosure and the thing Blues inside of it. It was golden just like him, and it was a butterfly. The butterfly flapped its wings flying in circles around the cage, landing periodically to rest, seemingly looking for a way out.

The jail seemed to be unlocked, but the butterfly wasn't strong enough to open it. With the caring heart that Sandman had inside of him, he opened the door which wouldn't let the innocent creature free. It seemed to be a mistake because as soon as he opened the cage's door, he was thrown into the metal confines.

~🌟~

Shalom, Seedlings!

Today's question is: Who is a writer here and what is your favorite story that you published (on Wattpad or not)?

Bonus question: If you have seen the film or read the book(s), who is your favorite character?