Chapter 7: Destruction

"You saved me" (Joyce, William. The Sandman and the War of Dreams. Atheneum Books, 2013.)

~🌟~

Soon more things fell from the sky. First, it was a cage, then another stability, and then it was a chuck in the building. That's when Sandman began to worry. A dreamsand version of himself appeared above his golden locks and it had X's floating upfront in its eyes.

"Hicc!"

The physical thoughts faded away and Sandman went to work. He wasn't going to stay here for long if Pitch's lair was somehow clasping upon itself.

Sandman could decide if it was safer to be under the building or out in the open. Under the building meant some sort of protection, but the building was falling apart so it could fall on him, but if he didn't use the building protection and simply stood in the open cave then he would have to deal with the falling object more. He decided to stay under the building somewhat but be near the edge in case anything worse happened.

Sandman created a manta ray but it disappeared as another hiccup escaped his mouth. He didn't have much time left before the piece of the building he was in crumbled off and fell upon him, trapping him underneath its weight.

Sandman could now feel the weight of the situation, quite literally it would seem, he was trapped and could not escape. He tried to move around in hopes that it would help his case, but he could barely move. It was as if he was back in Pitch's cage.

Trapped.

All he could do was listen. So he listened in the darkness. The sound of falling objects and them hitting the ruble in him. The sound of them ricocheting. It was nasty and it made Sandman pity the Nightmare King. His home was falling apart. We wondered where the man was right now; what was he doing?

All seemed to calm down. Sandman wondered what would happen next. He heard sounds of something moving above him. It seemed to be moving the stones. Sandman waited. He formed one of his dreamsand whips. It lay right next to him. The stone above his face was removed and that was his chance; Sandman jumped out of his stone confides and whipped whatever brought him out.

A scream erupted out of the tall shadowy figure. "I said no whips!" Pitch yelled. Glided away from Sandman to only move back closer to the little, golden man. Sandman rolled his eyes.

"Hicc!" Sandman covered his mouth in a polite sense.

Pitch sighed but it sounded sort of like something dying. "Are you kidding me? The fear of death didn't cure you?" Pitch put over his eyes then dragged them down, letting it slip off his chin. "I had to destroy my lair. Do you know how long it took to create this?"

Sandman looked around. It seemed that everything around them was rubble. Nothing was standing, but even the globe was intact. No cages were hanging from the ceiling either. Sandman felt sort of ashamed that Pitch had to go to such elaborate tricks or realities as it seemed for him. It made him sort of feel special yet a pain at the same time.

All of the man's hard work was for nothing. Sandman still had hiccups and Pitch's lair was now reduced to nothing more than rubble.

Pitch sighed once more. This one seemed to deflate the man. His face was now downcast. Sandman looked up at Pitch. Though they were enemies since the beginning of time it seemed, Sandman still felt compassion for the man. He lightly levitated himself so that he could hold the man's hand in condolences.

Pitch looked at the man when he felt the brightness of Sandman's hand when it touched him. "Just think of Seraphina," he said. Sandman also thought of Emily as a dreamsand version of her formed above Sandman's head. Pitch looked at it closer, engrossed by the image.

The dreamsand version of Emily danced a bit. She was a young little girl. Her long hair was moving with her impromptu dance and so was her long dress which went down to her shins. She looked as pure and innocent as the first flower of spring.

~🌟~

Today's question is:
Do you know about the girl Sandman and Pitch are talking about?