Debilitated

Laylah's POV

"Alright, spill and don't you dare leave anything out." Gwen sidles up to my locker. I smile and tell her everything that happened on Saturday in excruciating detail, except the stuff about Cole. Her smile stretches across her face as I try to hide my blush while telling her what happened in the back of his truck. It's only when I get to the part about waking up by myself that she frowns.

"What?" 

I turn to grab my chemistry book and slam my locker shut, not bothering to hide my disappointment. "The crazy part is, he didn't even think twice about staying with me. I just want to know what I di-" 

"What did I tell you about blaming yourself? He's an ass and should have never left you, got it?"

I reluctantly nod and fall into step beside her. I still can't stop the wheels spinning in my head as I wonder what happened the other night. I tried calling yesterday but none of them picked up, which was a first. Zane always answered. I also couldn't help but notice that none of them made it to school today. I didn't know if I should be worried or was just being paranoid. I walk into fourth period and make a mental note to swing by the penthouse later. 

I notice Gwen's uneasiness and steer her to the front row, the farthest seat away from Chase. I had two classes with him but luckily for Gwen, she only had one. He always sat in the back with his friends so he could do everything but work without Mrs. Whitlock noticing. I look over at Gwen and see her trying to concentrate with her pen and notebook in hand. Her shaky hands grip the pen so hard I think it might snap as she attempts to write down something Mrs. Whitlock says. 

I can feel Chase burning a hole in the back of my head as I rest Gwen's head on my lap and lightly stroke her hair, soothingly. I throw up the middle finger as soon as Mrs. Whitlock turns her back and hear a low growl grouped with a couple laughs. If he had something to say, he could say it to my face. I wasn't scared of Chase and I wouldn't start now. 

The rest of the period goes by surprisingly steady and as soon as the bell rings Chase practically sprints out of the room as if his pants are on fire. We wait a couple seconds to make sure we won't run into him before packing our things and heading towards the parking lot. 

"He can't even stand being in the same room as me." Gwen cries as soon as we reach her pink and black McLaren. It was still sleek and shiny from sitting in her garage everyday. Chase drove her everywhere. She never needed it. 

I wrap my hands around her and squeeze her a bit. "Just give him time." 

"Time? He's never going to forgive me." Her tears soak my shirt and I hold her at arms length, getting a good look at her face. It wasn't until then that I realized something. She was in love with him. Like head over heels in love with him. Gwen has never been serious about a guy in her life but now that I think about it she's been overly happy since she met him. 

I never got what it was about him but maybe it wasn't for me to get. God, this whole time iv'e spent every second I can, telling her how much of an asshole he is. Why couldn't I just be happy for her? Tell her I supported her? I didn't have to like him but she was my best friend. If she was happy that's all that mattered.

"You really love him, don't you?" I ask, hesitantly. Gwen laughs and digs in her purse for some tissue. 

"Well, i'm not crying over nothing." She dabs at her face with the thin tissue, tucking it back in her purse. I knew she was just trying to lighten the mood but that was all the confirmation I needed. 

"We are partying tonight." I quip, enthusiastically. She'd always told me that the way to get over someone was to get under someone so let's just say that I was going to be an amazing wingman.