Daunted

I lay curled up in a ball like I had been for the past week. It's like I had no energy or motivation to do anything. I was just so..tired. I felt just as helpless as I did the night my family died and I hated it. I hated that everyday I had to look in the mirror and wish I could've switched places with them. 

My thoughts are cut off by a knock at the door and I don't even bother looking up as it creaks open. I look at the clock and see 2:30 flash across the screen. Jackson has come in here everyday this week at that exact time and he sits in the desk chair facing me. He never says anything but he always stays for exactly one hour before leaving without a word.

He comes and sits in that exact spot, again, not saying a word. I suddenly can't take it anymore and gain the courage to say something. "Why?" It was all I could bring myself to say. His eyes dart up to mine and the silence drags on so long that I thought he was going to ignore me. 

"Why what?" His voice is calm but I can sense a slight edge in it. 

"Why do you sit there? Every day. At this exact time.." I trail off, just as confused as when I started talking. He eyes the clock before locking on mine. He seems almost reluctant to answer as he runs a shaky hand through his already ruffled hair. 

"It's how long it took me to get to you." 

I wait for him to elaborate but he doesn't. All I can do is stare at him, at a loss for what to say or do.

"You found me.." I was never completely sure which one of them it was but i'd adomentely thought it was Zane. He balls up his fist, turning away from me, "I'm so fucking sorry I wasn't there sooner. I couldn't find you and then I..." He releases a breath as if it was hard for him to even say. "I heard your scream." 

All of the raw emotions that I had buried suddenly came up to the surface and I couldn't hold back the tears that were now freely falling down my face. The last thing I wanted him to do was beat himself up over something that was out of his control. "It's not your fault." And it wasn't. This had Chase's name written all over it and it was then that I realized I was stupid for ever trying to challenge someone with his status. I guess I just never thought he'd ever take it this far. 

The first emotion I've seen crosses Jackson's face, pain, as he watches me sob my heart out. I hated that he had to see me like this but I didn't even have the time to feel embarassed as dread filled every pore in my body. 

"The fuck did you do?" Vixen bellows as he stalks over to Jackson. He stands up and whispers something in his ear before leaving the room. I can tell that whatever he said must have satisfied him by the way his back becomes less rigid. He turns to me and I wipe frantically at my face to rid the tears but they keep coming. 

He slips under the covers and pulls my back to his front. He doesn't say a word as he holds me through my breakdown. He had been more than sweet this week and I was beyond grateful for it. He'd helped me shower and kept his hands to himself despite how hard I could always feel he was when he held me at night. He wore clothes in the shower and to bed while also being mindful to never undress in front of me. No matter how much I insisted on not being hungry he forced me to eat everyday. Something my mom would have loved him for. 

I shook my head and had to will myself not to think like that. He was also dangerous, violent and so out of my league. He may be sexually attracted to me but I knew, someone like him would never go for someone like me. If it weren't for our agreement he would have already forgotten I existed. We had spent so much time together this week that our arrangement feels like it was so long ago. I found that I enjoyed his company and weirdly felt safe in his touch. 

He was the only person i'd allowed to touch me after...everything. I then felt something hard growing against my lower back and shifted uncomfortably. The thought of sex still made me want to throw up.