eight pt. 2

chapter eight pt. 2 — the perfect gift

During maths class, his last lesson of the day, Alex grew impatient

During maths class, his last lesson of the day, Alex grew impatient. Tapping his fingers against the grey table in a steady rhythm, he zoned out.

The teacher's hands moved around vigorously, in an attempt at explaining exponential functions to the class, who was more or less listening carefully.

Alex was more interested in the golden leaves falling from the linden trees right outside the window. They floated through the cool September air delicately before a strong gust of wind swept through the trees and they tumbled towards the ground, dancing around each other wildly.

In Alex's head, they were dancing to the beat of his fingers tapping. He pictured them tossing and turning, fluttering around unsuspecting people, engulfing them in a hurricane of colour.

With a smile he looked at the little box on his desk and sighed, still lost in his daydream. In some way, the leaves were like his thoughts, floating inside his head in a jumbled mess.

And just like they found their rest on the asphalt after whirling endlessly, Alex's thoughts found rest when thinking about a certain person. He cleared his throat as soon as the small voice in the back of his head appeared, whispering incoherent words, pulling images of rainbow slippers, dark-brown dutch braids, and Spanish curse words out of his memory.

"Stop," he muttered and cleared his throat again.

"Did you say something, Alex?"

The boy sat up straight and looked at his teacher with innocent eyes.

"Me? No."

The teacher furrowed their brows for a moment before shrugging and continuing with the lesson.

Alex let out a relieved huff and slumped back in his seat, resuming the tapping. That was close. The voice in his head had stopped.

( ♪ )

"Oi, Alex," Winnie shouted and ran towards her friend, her backpack barely hanging off her shoulder. She laughed loudly and engulfed him in a tight hug. 

"Hi, Winnie," Alex responded and ruffled through her curls. "You're in a good mood." 

"Yeah." She adjusted her backpack and balanced on the curbstone. 

"Why?" 

"I don't know." Winnie smiled. "I just am."