ten.

chapter ten — there's something in the air 

Bright pink waterproof boots stepped on the shiny pavement, stirring up the muddy puddles, causing little specks of rainwater to splash left and right whenever Valina took a step

There was a steady flow of water trickling down from the sides of her round umbrella. 

The smell of rain lingered in the air and every now and then, a drop would find its way onto Valina’s freezing hands. 

Burying her face deeper into the woollen scarf, she quickly stepped into the building in front of her. The girl shook her umbrella, to get rid of excess water and put it in one of the umbrella holders at the entrance. 

"Good morning," the receptionist said, looking up from their computer. 

"Hello," Valina greeted, "I'm here with Nebula Wave. We're supposed to meet Brie Henderson at eleven."

"Oh, right. Your bandmates are waiting in room 40 around the corner and down the hall" the receptionist said, pointing inside the building. They handed Valina a visitor card with her name and the '101ROAD STAGE' logo on it. 

"Thank you," the girl beamed and unzipped her raincoat while making her way toward the room. 

She knocked on the door and opened it slowly, revealing the other six teens lounging on a blue couch. 

"Hi, french fry," Allen said and gave his friend a high five. 

"Hello, guys."

"Valina, we thought you'd be late!"

"And leave a bad first impression?" the girl chuckled and hung her wet coat on the rack. She picked on a stray thread dangling from the sleeves of her maroon sweater and shook her head. 

"Is Ms. Henderson here yet?"

"Nope."

"I mean, she still has four minutes," Tina remarked checking her watch. 

"The receptionist said we should wait here and someone would escort us to Ms. Henderson," Winnie said, shrugging. 

"Oh right, you were here first," Alex noted and played with his earring. 

"Escort us?" Halley nodded approvingly. "Sounds fancy."

"They want to make us superstars, after all," Tina reminded them, scribbling on her notepad. 

The door opened and a woman in dark blue clothing entered the room. Her brown skin stood in dark contrast to the white nail polish she wore, and her short hair was kept in a butterfly clip. 

"Hi everyone, I'm Kareena Singh, but you can call me Kar."

She patted Valina, who was still standing in the middle of the room, on the shoulder.