By My Side

I haven't written a oneshot in a while cause I've been so focused on Misinformation, but here's this!

Prompt: Roman is injured in a fight with a dragon while protecting his king and love, Virgil. Virgil is very upset about this and was scared of losing him.

CW: injuries, medicine, talk of past fight including (evil) dragon death

Roman's chest hurt as he woke up, a painful pressure burning in his chest and stomach. He groaned as he frowned, curling his hands into fists. He blinked his eyes open and looked around, noticing he was in the medical ward of the castle.

There was a dripping sound and he turned to see a nurse squeezing out a cloth of water into a bowl. She turned back to him and froze for a moment, seeing he was awake.

"Oh, your- I mean, you're awake," she said in shock. Roman tried to sit up and she tensed, rushing forward and pushing him down by the shoulders. "No, don't move! You're still injured."

He groaned in pain and his hand went to his chest. There were bandages wrapped around his torso. Flashes of the battle flew past his mind, claws flying and fire filling the air.

"What-what-?" Roman tried to ask.

"I'll go get the king," the nurse said, pushing Roman's head down and placing the rag there. "Stay here, he wanted to see you when you woke up."

Roman really had no choice but to stay. He felt faint, though his chest and stomach was numb. He didn't think he was burned, so that's good. He just let his tired eyes close and to rest for a moment as he waited for the king. For his love... he hoped Virgil was okay.

It was a dragon that had attacked them. Roman and Virgil ride out every morning while the sun rises, it wakes both of them up. Roman was his personal guard and was always with him at every moment. Of course, they were also secretly in a relationship together, though some seemed to have found out.

Patton, the royal librarian, and Logan, the royal advisor, tease him relentlessly when he's not with the king. His brother, who was made a guard of Duke Janus, also found out somehow. According to Virgil, Janus knows too. Despite, albeit empty threats of execution, he won't stop teasing the king.

A few others know as well, some closer guards and maids. But for the most part, it is kept secret. Which is why the morning ride is one of Roman's favorite times of the day. Not only is it refreshing, but they always stop by a waterfall in the forest.

Unfortunately, however long ago it was, when they last did they were attacked by a dragon. Roman had his sword, and Virgil liked to take his bow to practice shooting whenever they went to their spot in the forest.

Virgil was almost killed by the dragon... During the attack, the dragon had hit him with its tail. The king was knocked back hard and fell against a tree, and he didn't get up. Roman was terrified for a moment, but when he rushed to his side, he had found Virgil was still breathing.

So he took the bow and arrows, knowing his sword was useless against the dragon's scales. He went to attack the dragon, looking for a weak spot, but the dragon got him first. He was grabbed in the dragon's talons, which had dug into his torso.

But he still managed to shoot the dragon in the mouth when the beast had opened to either swallow or fry him. The arrow had hit its mark, or Roman had assumed so, since he was dropped and fell to the ground.

Once he hit the ground, he ended up blacking out. Virgil must have carried him back after he woke up, Roman was just lucky that Virgil was able to do so. He wouldn't have left to get help, Virgil was too stubborn for that.

The sound of footsteps echoed from the halls, and the door was thrown open by the king. His crown was askew, and his hair fell in front of his wide eyes that instantly looked towards Roman.

The knight gave him a smile and a small wave. Virgil however just frowned. He turned to the nurse and told her, "Leave us be for a moment."

"Yes your majesty," she told him, bowing before leaving.

Virgil let the door close and went over to Roman, much more calm this time. He kept his expression neutral, but it didn't phase Roman who continued to smile.

"Hello dear," Roman hummed.

"Don't," Virgil told him. That made Roman frown in worry, his heart dropping. The king sighed, frowning as he shut his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose. "What were you thinking?"

"What do you mean?" Roman asked, worry filling his gut. Did he do something wrong?

"The dragon! I understand that you're my guard and you have to protect me, but it was a dragon! You should have ran! You should never have fought it! Dragons are near impossible to kill!"

"I just thought I could-"

"What?! That you could die!"

The room was filled with a silence as Roman stared with shock. Then he noticed the tears that were starting to fill Virgil's eyes as he desperately tried to stay angry.

"Virgil..."

"Don't," Virgil's voice cracked as he looked away, closing his eyes. He wiped a tear that still escaped.

Roman stayed silent as the king collected himself. The knight felt his own tears forming as it hit why Virgil was really upset.

Virgil took a deep breath and smoothed out his sash, opening his eyes and looking to the ceiling before looking down again. Roman held out his hand, catching Virgil's attention. He hesitated before taking it, though he looked away again.

"You're not going to lose me, my dark dove," Roman promised.

"I can't- I can't lose you." Virgil squeezed the knight's hand. "It would kill me."

"And I can't let that happen, so I guess I have to stay alive."

That made the king chuckle, though he had to wipe another tear away. "You're ridiculous."

"I know." Roman closed his eyes again, leaning his head back. His chest ached for a moment, the medication they must have used is probably wearing off.

"You were asleep for two days. I was scared you weren't going to wake up," Virgil told him.

Roman frowned, looking back up at him. "I was?"

"It was... terrifying. You had a fever too, though it has probably died down."

"I'm so sorry-"

"You don't need to be. I was just so... angry at the thought I could have lost you. That I put you in danger..."

"I'm your guard, it's my job to protect you. Speaking of which, were you injured at all?"

"Nothing bad, I'll be okay. Remy has to be my guard until you get better, so please get better soon. I can't stand him sometimes."

"Should have made him a court jester with how much he insults others. Creative insults too."

Virgil sighed, "Not as creative as your poetry." He leaned down and kissed Roman's lips. "Get well soon, I want you to be by my side again soon."