Chapter 43 - Endgame

"B-but Sirius Black isn't a Death Eater!"

"What do you mean by that?" Tina asked Eve.

"I'm his- or at least I was his fiance, Tina. We never had any secrets. He wasn't a Death Eater! It was Peter who was the Death Eater! He took Medea away, he used the Cruciatus Curse on her, and he fucking Obliviated her!" Eve shouted, and tears ran down Eve's cheeks.

Tina looked at the girl in pity. She felt like Eve was telling the truth, but the evidence pointed the other way around. Muggles had seen Sirius tackle Peter, and Peter had died.

"Now, I don't know what you mean by all of that, Eve, but it's not safe for you to go around saying things like this. No one is going to accept your statement even if it's true. Besides, the British Ministry isn't having a trial for Black. He's in Azkaban for life," she took a deep breath, "perhaps you should take a break for a few years. A breather is what you need. You-Know-Who is gone. Time to celebrate. At least pretend if you can't actually celebrate," Tina said.

"The Auror Department will always be here to welcome you back the moment you wish to join again. But for now, you need to resign. Travel the world for sometime. Get some therapy," she finished, "My husband lost people too, Eve. This is the only way you can cope with this mess. We're gonna be here for you, all the way through, if you need us."

Eve nodded at Tina's kind words. She was right. Eve walked out of the room, tears still flowing from her eyes, wrote a quick resignation letter, and handed it in.

"Reason for leaving?" "Trauma."

---------------------------------------------------

Eve sat by the fireplace. She had been crying for the past one week. She tried to switch off her emotion. Sentiment wasn't going to help, yes, but this even she couldn't control. Even though Sirius wasn't her fiance anymore, she still loved him. She wanted to make amends with him, but he was long gone. She couldn't get to him anymore. She was never going to fix her relationship with him. And it was all her fault.

Remus had come by the flat, offering chocolate as a sign of peace. Eve didn't tell him anything about Peter or Sirius. They only chatted about how James had been in his fifth year, trying to get Lily on a date at all times.

More bad news boomed through the flat as Alice and Frank had been tortured into insanity. Three weeks after Voldemort had disappeared, Dumbledore Apparated to her flat with Sherlock. Eve looked sick. She hadn't eaten in days. Her eyes looked tired, and her body weak. She sat in a corner of her bed, staring into a book, but she was not able to read. Her mind wandered back to Sirius Black.

"Fancy a sherbert lemon?" he said, and Eve nodded. She had always liked Albus and his cheerfulness even during times of the Dark. Sherlock sat next to his sister, holding her hand tightly.

She put the candy in her mouth. Her teeth cracked open the hard candy, and a fizzy sweet powder entered her mouth.

"We're gonna be okay, Eve," Sherlock said. It was the same thing that Sirius had always told her. "We're okay, honey." it resounded in her brain over and over, until she broke down again. Even though he never much felt love towards anyone, Sherlock remained quiet. She needed quiet company.

"All my friends are dead, or insane, or severly injured, except Remus, who still doubts me," Eve sniffled, "And my fiance is sentenced to Azkaban for his lifetime, even though he's innocent. I have no one."

"You have me, sis. You have me 'til the end of the line."

"Mr. Holmes, I must ask you to leave for a minute while I talk to Eve," Dumbledore said, and Sherlock nodded as he left the flat, closing the door behind him.

"You need to eat once in a while, Eve. Otherwise Minerva would kill me for not taking care of her daughter- or worse, turn me into a pocketwatch," Albus said, and Eve chuckled a bit. 

"Harry is still alive," Dumbledore said, and Eve's head snapped towards him, expecting him to place her godson in her hands. A better coping mechanism than starving to death.

"But he needs to live with someone who has the blood of his mother," he said. Eve knew what he was talking about. Ancient magic, the power of love could save someone from even death. To maintain the protection cast by his mother, her godson would have to live with the damned Dursleys, at least until he turned 17.

"I can't live here," Eve said.

"Yes, I know," Albus responded.

"I don't want to live in the wizarding world for some time."

"I also know that. Perhaps your brother can arrange that for you. Spend some time with your family. Move on. If you want to join the Aurors again after some time, you will be welcomed even without an interview. You're the famous Evangeline Holmes, the one who caught most of the Death Eaters who now live in Azkaban, after Mad- Eye Moody himself."

Eve only stayed silent. After thinking it over, she said, "He's innocent. Peter was the real Secret Keeper of the Potters' house. Sirius told James to change it suddenly because he thought that Remus was the spy. He called a bluff, but Peter called a double bluff."

Dumbledore took in the information that Eve had told him. His face grew into a gentle smile, "Eve, thank you for telling me this. Otherwise, I would have thought for the rest of my life that Sirius Black was a mass murderer. Even I fell for the bluff. But you cannot go say this to anyone. They will only suspect you more, and I don't want you to get in to trouble. I can't say that I've had one, but you've always been a daughter to me, and I wouldn't want to lose you, dear."

Eve nodded. Dumbledore left the place. After talking to her for sometime, Sherlock left too. Eve took a deep breath. She waved her wand, and every item that she owned flew into her trunk, that had an Undetectable Extension Charm. She took deep breaths as she went down every stair, called a taxi to the Scamanders' flat, told them her goodbyes, gave Medea a never dying blue daisy in (memory of Alice) as a parting gift, and Apparated to the nearest telephone booth. She dialled a number, and waited for him to pick up the phone.

"Hello? This is a private number, and-"

"Hello, brother dear," Eve spoke into the reciever.

"Eve? What happened? I heard from Sherlock, but your old Headmaster told that-"

"I need a job. In London. Help a sister out?" she said.

A moment of silence.

"First flight to London's in 3 hours," Mycroft's voice sounded and Eve's face broke into a smile.

---------------------------------------------------

A/N: And that's the end of book 1, folks. Thanks for reading. The first part of the sequel 'Reunite' will be out today. Please don't forget to vote! Really, help this sister out too.

Also, I'd like to say again. The more emotional parts of this book will occur as flashbacks in the next.

Also, thank you @The_optimistic_123 for reading every chapter as soon as I publish one. Thank you.

Thank you for reading.