Chapter 14 - A Breakout Of Howlers And Emotions

It had been months since the Marauders found out about Moony's 'furry little problem' and they were taking so very lightly. They came by the Whomping Willow after every night to help him back to the Hospital Wing. But they wanted to help him in other ways too. Only if they had other ideas.

Time had passed so very quickly. At the end of the second year, Gyffindor had not only won the House Cup, but it also won the Quidditch Cup. And as usual, Lily and Remus were toppers that year too. Minnie had been extremely mad at Eve for using pens instead of quills. Eve hated quills. They were just too old style for her. So she and Sirius, who found pens stylish and modern (like him, apparently) used them for exams instead of quills and ink.

When she went home, Eve immediately told everything about her year to Sherlock and he shared with her a case that he'd found very interesting. It was about a boy called Carl Powers. Eve examined the case a bit and decided that something was fishy, but Scotland Yard just thought that the kids were being idiots. It was at times like these when Eva really wanted to take out her wand and hex a person. Instead, she took out her wand and it poked it at the Inspector's eye and ran out.

Third year rolled in, and the Marauders met up at Diagon Alley again to buy supplies. They spent the rest of the holidays together at the Leaky Cauldron, and boarded the train together to find themselves in their usual compartment. It was now called the 'Marauder's compartment'. Just as usual, all of them bought candies, James went to Lily to ask her out to Hogsmeade ("No I won't go with you, you arrogant toe-rag!")

By the end of their 1st month, Eve had gotten a Howler. Eve? Getting a Howler? Not a chance. Her parents didn't even know what a Howler was. But Sirius definetly had gotten more than a few telling him to be more like Regulus instead of being a 'blood-traitor'. But this Howler was definetly addressed to her. Before she could take it away from the Great Hall, the Howler burst open.

"YOU! MUDBLOOD! STAY AWAY FROM MY SON! DO YOU UNDERSTAND?! I DON'T WANT FILTH LIKE YOU TRYING TO TURN MY ELDEST ONE FROM WHAT IS RIGHT! MUDBLOOD! BLOOD TRAITORING MUDBLOOD! STAY AWAY FROM HIM!" And then it tore into shreds. Eva just stared at the pieces of paper before silently walking out of the Hall, her face with no emotion.

She knew who it had been from. She knew who'd told Walburga Black about Sirius' close friendship with her. She knew that Regulus had just complained to the excuse of a mother, Walburga that his elder brother was sitting and talking cheerfully with Eva Holmes, A Muggleborn. She sat in the Common Room, trying to take it all in. And a tear slid from her eye. And then there weren't any. She'd turned the switch off. She was no longer the Eve who was cheerful and caring. She was gloomy, introverted and cared about nothing.

The Marauders, Lily, Marlene and Alice. All of them noticed it. They noticed how Eve spent too much time at the Library. How much she didn't give a damn about things now. She just answered whenever needed, instead of chattering away with everyone she met. And they all knew why, and they knew that only Sirius could resolve the matter.

"Hey Eve," Sirius said with a big smile when they were alone in the Common Room one night.

"Yes, Sirius?" Eve said in a cold voice.

"Can you help me with the Divination essay? I'm not very good with tea leaves. You see, I personally prefer coffee."

"The essay has nothing to do with your preference of beverage, idiot."

"Yeah, well, help me, will ya?"

"I don't suppose your mum would like that now, would she?"

"Who cares what my mum thinks?"

"I care, Sirius! If we just keep being friends and your brother keeps telling your mum about it, you'll end up hurt, asshat- I don't care about language of all things right now, Black! The more time we stay friends, the more your mum's gonna hurt you! And I can't have that on me, okay? Despite what people usually think, I do feel guilt! And if you're getting abused- yes, it's called abuse, you halfwit, I'm not going to be your friend."

"Hey! I undertstand that you care about me. And I know that you've got emotions too- Holmes, you listen to me for a minute. I gave you time for your little monologue, now you listen to me. I know you do feel emotions, and I know you care about me. And I know you'd even stop being my friend, my best friend, if I could live my life without getting hurt. But I need you. Despite whatever  you do, you won't be able to control my mouth. Despite whatever you do, I'm gonna end up protesting against my family's pureblood rules at Christmas dinner and starve until the end of vacation. You're not gonna make it any better by not staying as my friend. I can't do it without you. You're my best friend. You were the first one who realized that my parents hurt- abused me. You were the first one who brought me ointments and all odd sorts of medicine to try and help me. You are always there for me when my mum sends me a Howler and I feel a little down. You are always there. And I always want you to be there. Please. Stay with me."

Eve's face broke into a small smile. "'Til the end," she told him.

"'Til the end," Sirius replied back.

And Eve hurried off to her dorm with her books before she started crying tears of joy. Sirius only grinned and stared at the fire, deep in thought.

"But I need you."

"You are always there. And I always want you to be there. Please. Stay with me."

"'Til the end of the line."

And that's when realization dawned on Sirius' face and he ran up his dorm to throw himself under the covers and think right.

He fancied Evangeline Holmes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Showdown. But Eva still doesn't know that she fancies him, right?