In sickness and in health - chapter 73

Start from the beginning

"I know Min elskede, and I am so sorry.. I wish I could take away the pain.. the burden you carry" he says softly.

"They're not a burden" you sighs softly, as you rest your hand on your stomach. "I just need some food, and some rest"

Loki nods his head, helping you sit down at the table, serving you some soup. Then sits down next to you, he barely touches his food, simply looking at you.

"Do you ever think if im not suited to be a father?" Loki breaks the silence.

"Never" you reach your hand out holding his. "You're gonna do great.." you trail off thinking that you might never be a mother.

"We are going to do great.. together" Loki assures you.

Your throat gets completely dry..

"Do we have some water?" You ask.

"I'll get it" Loki says.

"Let me please, I want to do something on my own" as you slowly stand up, your legs stats to shake. You stumble to the sink pouring yourself a glass of water. Then within a split second, your legs give in. You try calling out to him, but all that comes out is a scream of pain. As you drop the glass to the ground shattering into a million pieces. You look down, realizing your legs slowly bending, your bones splintering in your knees.. As a loud crack echoes through the room, you crash onto the ground. It's feels like time is frozen as you head hits the wooden floors.

You open your eyes slowly realizing you're in your bed, unable to move. Loki stands before you looking down at you in panic as Sól runs back and forth with medicine. You open your mouth so speak but nothing comes out, nothing but a quiet aching moan.

"Dont speak.. we're getting them out" Loki says softly, stroking your hair.

You want to fight him, tell him they're not ready. But you can't do anything but lay there, as your sob in despair. Sól injects you with a needle and suddenly everything goes numb. There's nothing. Your eyes slowly widen and panic spreads in your chest. You turn to look at Loki pleading for him to stop. This is far from what you wanted. Within seconds the medicine wears off, and the stabbing pain returns to your body. You close your eyes, screaming out in pain.

"Sòl get them out of her now" Loki yells

Please don't do this Loki.. I can do this

It's too late Min elskede..

It hurts so much, please don't hurt them.

I know.. soon it will all be over I promise

What do you mean over? Loki what's over?

"Just hold still, it's only going to last a minute" .

You scream as the scalpel runs over your navel, cutting into your flesh. Loki holds your hand, you can't focus on anything but the fire burning on your skin. They're cutting you open, hoping to get the children out of you..

You try close your eyes, focusing on Loki. But even that won't work. As the waves of pain come crashing over your. Screaming for help. When suddenly everything fades away. Your take a last deep breath.

Loki looks at you with pure panic. Shaking your body, trying to get in contact with you. But you're so far away there's no use. They babies has to get out now before it's too late. Sól puts away the scalpel, taking one of the babies out, wrapping it neatly in a blanket. Loki turns around seeing his daughter for the first time. He slowly lets go of your hand, holding onto the baby. Sól continues to get the last baby out, as you lay unconscious on the bed, blood everywhere. She wraps the boy in another Blanket, she hands Loki the boy, as they cry at the top of their lunges.

Loki rocks the babies back and forth looking down at them. He starts crying desperately. While Sòl stitches you back together. Yet there's still no sign of life in your eyes. As soon as she's done she takes the babies from his hands, he's covered in blood.. your blood..

"I'll go wash them" Sól says quietly"

Loki kneels before the bed. Holding your hand tightly.

You did it.. now wake up my love okay? You need to wake up y/n the babies need you.. I need you.

Silence.

y/n wake up!

Sòl walks slowly into the bedroom. "I'm sorry.. I did everything I could" she whimpers. She places the babies on your chest, allowing them to be with their mother for one last time.

Loki screams as he walks out the door.

Suddenly your lungs fill with air, like you've been kept under water for minutes struggling to breathe and finally you've reached the surface. Your eyes slowly open, and as much you want to scream in pain, it all reduces to nothing once you look down at your chest. Overwhelmed by motherly Instinct telling you to wake up, and hold your children.

"My babies" you whimper quietly.

"Y/n" sól says happily.. "I thought we lost you"

"So did I.. but a mother can't leave her children" you sigh. Holding them close to your chest. You sob quietly as you wrap your arms protectively around your children..  "they're so tiny" you chuckle. And although they're bigger than mortal babies, they're just as perfect.

"These babies are a true miracle, half jotun, half midgradian"

"How am I alive?" You ask hesitantly.

"The babies.. they're using their magic to keep you here.. sharing their magic with you through a bond" Sòl explains.

"You saved us" you whisper to them. As you rock them back and forth.. they're so beautiful, you can't believe it.

"Y/n" Lokis quiet voice echoes through the room as he sees you. "You're okay?" He says happily as he rushes to your side.

"Okay might not be the word.. but I'm alive.." you sob. "And so are they"