Down on my knees - chapter 61 ४

Tony is tugging Morgan into bed, reading her a bedtime story. When Pepper walks in whispering something into his ear. He looks confusedly up at her, before kissing Morgan Goodnight, then walking downstairs. Realizing someone is sitting on his couch.

"I'm sorry to come unannounced Stark" a low raspy voice says. "I need to get in contact with y/n" Fury says as he walks towards Tony.

"She's retired" Tony scoffs coldly, crossing his arms as he leans against the staircase.

"Bullshit"

"Listen she moved, probably doing god knows what with her husband right as we speak" he sighs.

"I know you're in contact with her, that means you know where to find her." Fury says casually. " I need her help, and I need yours as well"

Tony shrugs before sitting down at the dining table. "What's wrong?" He asks sadly.

"That peace keeping program you designed years back, remember that?"

"Of course I do, you told me to stop it" Tony growls.

"Did you?"

Tony looks at him, he wouldn't be asking if he didn't already know the answer to his question.

"You've created a weapon stark, a weapon shields enemies now have access to" Fury explains, handing Tony a case file.

He quickly scans through it before shaking his head angrily. "No.. that can't be" Tony shrugs, clenching his jaw tightly. "She won't help us" Tony says quietly. "I won't let her help, I promised her to keep her out of any avengers business from now on"

"We don't have another choice" Fury admits.

"It's not happening" Tony says as he slams the file into the table, angrily getting up from his seat. "After everything she's been through, she deserves to live a normal life"

"She's not normal stark, and it won't end without her" Fury says sadly, he's always cared deeply about you. As much as he denies it. It pains him to have to drag you into this mess. "Give her a call, tell her to come home"

"I can't do that" Tony holds his ground. "I can fix this mess, just let me handle it"

"It's gonna come for her, if we don't stop it first." Fury explains. "Your sisters life is at risk Stark"
Tony exhales sharply, running his hand through his hair. Once again he had messed up, and you had to clean up the mess. "Call her" Fury demands, before walking out the front door.

Tony slowly lays on the couch, he wants to call you. But he can't bring himself to do it. Pepper slowly walks down the stairs, sitting next to him on the couch.

"What's wrong honey?" She asks.

"I fucked up pep. That's what wrong" Tony mumbles. Biting the inside of his cheek.

"Call her"

"What?" Tony questions sitting up.

"If anyone knows how to fix your mistakes it's her" she simply states.

"I promised her"

Pepper grabs his phone tossing it at him.

"Call her"

Tony sits in the living room for hours. He can't bring himself to do it. So instead he gets in his car and starts driving. There's a few miles til he reaches your house, it's completely dark outside by now.

"Call y/n" he says, his voice is shaky.

The phone keeps ringing. You're probably asleep. He tries calling you over and over again until finally you pick up the phone.