“I think it’s more than that. The last time I hung out with them, I got the impression they were dating.”

“When was that? And how come I wasn’t invited?” Evan furrows his brows.

“Last week. It was just a spur-of-the-moment thing.”

“Speaking of spur of the moment…” Evan leans forward on the Adirondack chair, and dread washes over me because here comes the big question. “I heard a little rumor you’ve been sleeping with Angie, but I’m hoping it’s false. Especially because you and Mindy seem cozy tonight.”

“Look, Ev…” I rub the stubble on my chin, and my fingers touch crusted blood, reminding me what happened earlier—reminding me Mindy is too good for me, and I still have her husband to take care of. “I would never hurt Mindy.”

“So, you’re not denying it? You did sleep with Angie.”

“No, I—”

“So you did or didn’t?” he probes, and I know he’s not going to drop the subject. He cares too much for Mindy to let this go.

“Ev… I…”

“I can’t believe you!” Evan stubs out the cigar, shaking his head. “Mindy is the sweetest, kindest, and—”

“Ev, I know.”

“Then why would you do that? You know Mindy is crazy about you. Why would you go for a burger when you can have filet mignon?”

“Because the burger was fast, and I was hungry, ok!” I toss up my hands.

“You know it will break Mindy's heart when she finds out.”

“Then don’t say anything.”

“I won’t,” he sighs. “But that doesn’t mean Angie will keep her mouth shut. Chloe is the one who told me about the rumor, and she heard it from Alma. Which means Angie told her. This also means Jackson probably knows too since, according to you, he and Alma are dating.”

“So what you’re saying is, Mindy will inevitably find out.”

“Don’t let her find out from someone else, especially if you’re going to move things forward with her. Neither of you is ready to date, but sometimes you can’t fight what the heart wants, so promise me you’ll do right by her. Promise me you’ll treat her heart with care.”

“I will. The whole thing with Angie was a mistake.” I lean forward and scrub my face with my hands. “One big fucking mistake.”

Evan is about to say something again, but the sliding glass door opens, and the sound of the party trickles out, along with Neal. It’s a welcomed interruption since we don’t need to tumble further down this road with the conversation. I don’t want Evan speculating that I’m part of what's going on with Alma and Jackson—which I am, but he doesn’t need to know. The less collateral damage, the better. 

“We need the two of you to gather around for the cake,” Neal announces.

“Cake?” Evan and I say at the same time.

“Yes. To make this celebration official.”

“What are we celebrating?” I ask.

“The huge gig Mindy finalized negotiations on this week! Hello. It’s why we’re all here,” Neal says.

“She didn’t tell me that.” I glance at Evan. “Did you know?”

“Of course. She told Chloe and me the other night at Cha Cha Cha.”

“Wait." I hold up my hand. "Why wasn’t I invited? You know I love that place.” 

“I thought you were working at Penthouse, so I figured you couldn’t come.” Evan shrugs.