Part 72

Settling into the life of being a family of 5 was surprisingly a lot easier than they had ever expected. The girls adapted well to having a baby in the house, with both of them doing anything and everything they could to help out.

It had been a crazy few weeks with having an endless amount of visitors coming to see the new Shepherd but for the first time in days, it was just the five of them.

"Hey, do you hear that?" Meredith asked as she continued to feed Ethan as Derek settled down next to her.

"What?" Derek frowned as he yawned widely. "I don't hear anything."

"Exactly." Meredith smiled. "It's silent, beautiful silence. The girls are sleeping and Ethan here is happy on the boob and there is no one here asking questions."

"Wow, I kind of forgotten what this was like." Derek laughed as he settled back in his seat and wrapped his arm around her shoulder.

"Me too." Meredith smiled before looking back down at Ethan. "I mean I love your family but..."

"They are a lot." Derek finished for her before they both started laughing before falling back into a blissful silence.

"Can you burp him?" Meredith asked as she handed Ethan towards him and pulled her top down and turned to watch her two boys.

Her boys. After losing Greyson she was sure that they would never get the opportunity to watch Derek he the best father he is to a their son. But they were given a second chance.

"What's going through that mind of yours?" Derek smiled as he watched Meredith turned towards him.

"I'm just thinking that I'm the luckiest woman in the world right now." She moved closer to Derek and let her finger run over Ethan's face. "I have the perfect little family around me and everything is just perfect."

"Hmm." Derek sighed in agreement before leaning up slightly to brush his lips against hers gently before pulling back and watched as she yawned. "Why don't you head upstairs and get some sleep whilst all the kids are sleeping?"

"I can't, there's too much to do." Meredith smiled tiredly as she moved rest her head on his shoulder. "I mean I've still got the laundry to do, the dishes still need doing and the living room is a mess." She said pointing at the large amount of toys on the floor.

"I'll do it." He moved to kiss the side of her head. "Take Ethan upstairs and get some sleep, I'll have dinner waiting for you when you get up."

"Have I told you lately how much I love you?" Meredith smiled as she lifted her head of his shoulder and looked at him.

"You have but I will never get tired of hearing it." He smirked at her.

"I love you." Meredith said seriously as she placed her slender fingers onto his cheek and leaned in to brush her lips against his again.

"I love you too." He replied before moving Ethan to rest in her arms. "Now take our boy upstairs and sleep."

Meredith nodded before pushing herself up and headed for the stairs, moving into their room, she placed Ethan into his Moses basket before climbing into bed. The second her head hit the pillow, her body was consumed with exhaustion and she quickly fell into a deep sleep.

                        *********************
It had been a few hours since Meredith had headed upstairs before she was finally woken up by Ethan starting to stir. Pushing herself up, she pulled him into his arms and started to comfort him, feeling that he now needed a new nappy desperately.

From downstairs she could hear the laughter from both the girls and Derek before her nose was attacked with the delicious scent of freshly baked cakes.

"It looks like your daddy and sisters have been busy whilst we have been sleeping." Meredith whispered to Ethan as the small boy rubbed his hands over his eyes and smacked his lips together before curling into her chest.

Heading down the stairs, she couldn't keep the smile off her face as she listened to the soft and gentle laughs from both the girls. Phoebe finally had the father figure she truly deserved and she was glad it was Derek in the end. She would always be grateful that she found her way back to the Derek.

"What's going on in here?" She asked as she stepped into the kitchen and saw flour everywhere. "I thought you was meant to by tidying up." She asked directing it towards Derek.

"Yeah well, Phoebe and Ella woke up and wanted cupcakes so we are baking." He smiled proudly as he moved Ella off the counter and onto his hip so she wouldn't fall.

"We made your favourite mom." Phoebe smiled proudly. "Chocolate chip. We thought you would like one after your nap."

"Thank you so much." Meredith smiled and scrunched up her nose as she moved to kiss the top of Phoebe's head who continued to spoon the mixture into the cases. "And what happened to you?" Meredith laughed as she looked to her youngest daughter who was currently covered in flour.

"Cakes!" Ella cheered happily as she slapped her hands on Derek chest, also leaving him covered in flour.

"Yeah it seemed like a really good idea at the time but now, now I think a mistake was made." He laughed as he kissed her quick as they looked at the mess around them before placing Ella down on the floor and watched as she headed over to Phoebe.

"No, it's fine. I mean look at how happy they are." She smiled as he leaned into his shoulder and watched as Phoebe helped Ella scoop the mixture out, making even more mess. They were interrupted when Ethan cried slightly and wiggled in her arms. "And that reminds me, this one needs changing."

She turned to Derek with a smile on her face and held Ethan out towards him.

"I'll do it." He kissed her again and took Ethan out of her arms and headed into the living room.

Meredith moved over to the girls and kissed both of them on the head before scooping some mixture onto her fingers and wiped on Phoebes nose.

"Mom!" She squealed before doing the same and wiping it on Meredith and then on to Ella.

Before they knew it, it had broke out into a fall out food fight, which resulted in all of them being covered in cake batter.

"What..." Derek laughed as he walked in and found Meredith currently trying to wash the batter out of her hair. "I wasn't even gone for 5 minutes." He shook his head and walked into the room.

"You see." Derek looked down to Ethan who was now awake in his arms. "This is why I needed another boy in the house because we have definitely got our work cut out with this lot."

"Hey!" Meredith pointed at him. "No turning my boy against me." She laughed.

"I would never do such a thing." He winked before kissing her again. "Well, I think whilst these cakes are cooking we should head upstairs and have a bath. Tonight feels like a movie night."

"Yes!" The girls both cheered as they wasted no time in running out of the room, with Phoebe holding Ella's hand tight to ensure she didn't fall over.

"See told you it was impossible not to make a mess when it comes to do anything with those two." Derek smirked as Meredith nudged his hip gently.

"Hmm." Meredith sighed. "I'm not saying you are right. I need a shower, I'm sure I've still got batter in my hair." She grimaced as she ran her fingers through her hair.

"Go up, I'll put him in his bouncer and get to work on attempting to tidy all of this up." Derek said as he moved over to the bouncer and placed Ethan down gently.

"Thank you." She smiled and wrapped her arms around his waist before reaching into the bowl again and spreading some of the batter over his cheek before running out of the room and laughing.

"Like I said, hard work." Derek turned to Ethan who was happily chewing on his blanket.

All his life, he was sure he would never see Meredith again but now here he was. She was his wife and mother of his children, he would never take advantage of any of that ever again.

*a/n*
I think after this chapter, im going to do a time jump and then end the story. I've loved this story and the response to it but I feel like it's time to end now so please drop any ideas down below <3