thirty four

wednesday

hanako had decided to pick up a close shift for some odd reason on her day off, and when she had a 9am lecture in the morning. she would like to go back to her past self and wonder what on earth the thought process was when agreeing to do this shift, as now future her was suffering the consequences. scrubbing pots and pans at 10pm was not something she wanted to do tonight.

not to mention none of the co-workers she got along with were on shift tonight, which meant she suffered alone and quietly, not speaking to anyone. and to top it all off, she seemed to be the only one cleaning up as they all were sat on their phones, it was like they didn't have anything better to do than sit here all night. but hanako did, and that was getting in bed and sleeping.

she quickly finished scrubbing her pots, loading them in the dishwasher after they were free of stains, turning on the machine. she ran the water in a mop bucket, waiting for the water to cool and froth up with the floor cleaner she swept the floor and picked up the litter. it was miracle one of them had actually cleaned the tables.

she quickly mopped the floor, finishing up and throwing the water back down the sink, taking off the mop head and taking it to the washing machine for it to be washed and dried in the morning. her co-workers were all still behind the bar doing whatever, hanako rolled her eyes grabbing her coat to leave. she had already done double her work, she was leaving.

"i cleaned the kitchen, i'm off," she announced to them, clocking out and writing down on the cleaning sheet what she had done behind the bar.

"oh, sorry i didn't realise you'd done it all," one spoke.

"it's fine, see you later," she said annoyed, walking out of the building to get the bus home.

the girl walked out of the doors, but stopped when she saw osamu stood outside on his phone. hanako couldn't walk past and ignore him as it would be too obvious then, so she decided to stand in her spot until he noticed her. which he did, looking at from his phone to hanako in her work uniform and thin jacket.

hanako was already shivering from the coldness outside, the breeze hitting her hard now she was out in the open, it was a hell of a lot warmer in the restaurant.

"hey, sakusa said you were finishing late so i'd thought to pick you up, so you weren't walking alone," he said walking towards her, shoving his phone in his pocket.

hanako smiled at him as he walked over, her heart racing as he stopped in front of her with that gentle smile he always did around her. it always made her feel so safe when he was around, but hanako then remembered she was currently still annoyed and trying to get over him. and tried to stop swooning over the bare minimum.

so he came to pick her up? it really wasn't a big of a deal as she was making it in her head.

"oh yeah, thanks for that," she nodded.

her bag strap slipped down her shoulder, and she shrugged it back up in its position. osamu stopped her, taking the bag strap from her arm and throwing it over his shoulder to carry her bag like he usually did. she just smiled at him.

hanako started to walk in the direction of the bus stop, and osamu followed her. he stood by her side whilst they walked together in silence. the street lit up by the amber streetlights, cars driving past with blurring headlights. osamu moved closer to her, brushing his hand against hers.