DÍS

. . .

Dís watched herself in the mirror. The dress she was wearing made her a different creature. The fabric enclosed her body tightly and draped around her ankles at the ground, so that here feet were invisible. The sleeves were not as long as those of Arwen, but they were still wide. The color of the dress was something between yellow and green and showed a large part of her neck.

"It looks beautiful on you," Arwen found.

Dís didn't dare to state anything else, since it was Arwen who'd made the dress. Her brown curls hang over her partly uncovered shoulders, making her discomfort grow.

"You don't like it, do you?"

Her cheeks turned red. She didn't want to disappoint Arwen, who had done so much for her. It was very kind she wanted to fabricate clothes for her, because there was nothing in her seize.

"I just need to get used to it," she said, glancing once more at her reflection. It was a beautiful dress, which almost gave her the feeling she wasn't good enough to wear it. A feeling she was ashamed of, since she didn't know when and how that thought had crept into her mind. She had been the princess of Erebor and she should behave so.

"Thank you, Arwen."

"You're welcome. Will you wear it tonight?"

"Yes, I could do that."

She felt a little nervous for tonight. The Feast of the Summer Gates, they called the celebration, but she did not know very well what was celebrated and she wasn't in the mood for a feast at all. It was the first she would experience and Thorin and she would be the only dwarfs. She knew she needed to get over that, since that wouldn't change in the near future.

"What do you celebrate?"

"Today is the longest day of the year and we believe the healing tears of Nienna will fall upon the plants."

Dís nodded hesitating, even though she had not the slightest idea who Nienna was. She however expected she would find out soon enough.

"I bet there are a lot of things you need to do before the night falls."

Arwen looked guilty at her. "Actually I should. Father expects me to guide the flowers, so that their beauty will delight us tonight."

Dís feigned a smile, but the discomfort didn't disappear. She was probably the only unknowing soul in Imladris, for she believed Thorin had figured out the mystery of Nienna a long time ago. This morning he went on the way to hunt a swine. Although most courses were herbal, nights like these offered variation on their diet and Dís had to admit her mouth already watered by the thought of a delicious piece of meat.

Dís walked to the door of her house to let Arwen out and said goodbye. Arwen brushed Kíli's hair, who sat on the ground and made drawings with a white stone he got from Elrohir. He waved with his hand, but moved on with his work in full concentration soon. Dís smiled, looked around to see if Fíli was near and went back inside when she didn't see him. There were some elf girls with whom he was often around, telling tales to. He didn't seem to care that his friends were probably three times as old as he was and she was glad he could amuse himself.

Dís returned to her work table and took the piece of wood in her hand that she was cutting. Elrohir had taught her a few weeks ago and she really enjoyed making beautiful figures. He had said she was gifted and Dís hoped to earn some money with it. They brought her food, but she still wanted to have some cash, in case they needed to flee when Azog and his followers picked up their trail.