"Yeah, I was joining a bunch of clubs", Elmer answered, stealing Crutchie's fruit cup. "I need them for my resume."

"Dude, you're a sophomore", Jack scoffed, his brows furrowed in confusion. "What are you worried about your applications for?"

"Dude, you're a senior", Elmer responds, mocking him. "What are you not worried about your applications for?"

Jack grumbled and rolled his eyes as Davey patted his shoulder. "Plus, I could use them to finally get a job."

"I'm happy for you, Elmer", Crutchie says, stealing his fruit cup back. "But you didn't just apply to a bunch of random things, right?"

"No", Elmer sighed, giving a small smile. "I promised we wouldn't have a repeat of freshman year."

Race wasn't paying attention anymore, instead staring at the door. The redhead from the hallway was in the hallway, passing the cafeteria. How was he everywhere but no where at the same time?

Race grabbed his backpack just as the bell rang, being one of the first to leave the cafeteria, however it was all for nothing.

He disappeared again, almost like he had magical powers. Race sighed as he sadly walked to fifth period, so many questions in his head.

——————

So, Albert does have a pair of earbuds.

He doesn't use them often, mostly for class. He needs them to listen to music during his English teachers long lessons, his nasally voice droning on and on.

"Don't write messy papers, or ones with the word 'something' in big letters", Mr. Harris warned, looking at a duo of boys everyone despised. "Write 'em good."

Albert looked at the clock as the bell rang, grabbing his stuff by taking his time. It's not like he had anywhere to be. After this class, there's gym, and he's always the first one ready for gym.

He placed his backpack on his shoulders, releasing a breath he had no idea he was holding. It felt good to let out though, like cracking your back after a hard day.

Albert walked through the halls of his school intention, making it his small mission to get to the gymnasium. He watched his feet as he skipped the lines, his stride quick but not confident, his brain clouded with focus. He nearly missed bumping into people and embarrassing himself- and he's still going to think about how he nearly embarrassed himself well into the night- but at least he didn't crash and fall.

He opened the gym doors, finding the junior varsity football coach standing near his office, muttering something as he looked at his clipboard. "Hey, Coach."

He does have a last name, but his last name is...not what you'd expect it to be. Of all the horrible last names in the world, a slur has to be the worst one. "Hey, kiddo."

"What are we doing today?" Coach looked at Albert skeptically before licking his lips and answering.

"Stretches and soccer." Albert internally groaned. Running.

"Well, that won't matter because I've got a doctor's note saying I can't participate." Coach nodded his head, placing his clipboard under his arm. "Some kind of...illness."

Albert coughed to add to the effect, despite knowing it wasn't working. "And where's the note?"

They stood in front of each other, silence overtaking the room. Coach looked at his student with a challenge, and Albert looked him in panic.

"In the locker room", Albert says, inching towards it. "Where I'll be going...to change."

He ran into the locker room, just as Coach laughed, tugging on his hoodie sleeve. There's no way I'll ever get out of gym.

He walked to his locker- number 207- an odd number on a door that caused him to crouch to the floor. He used his combination to open it, having already remembered it from last week.

Most people would probably already be asking for others to open their lockers, or going to the coach for their combination. However, Albert was special. A lonely kind of special.

He grabbed his clothes and sighed, looking around for anyone else. Finding no one there, he took his shirt off.

———————

This redhead guy was ripped.

And Race found himself blushing like a maniac.

His backpack felt heavy on his shoulders and he cleared his throat to make himself known. The other guy glanced at him before realizing he was there.

"Shit!" He nearly jumped ten feet in the air as Race had to stop himself from laughing. "Gosh."

"I'm sorry", Race apologized, his voice squeakier than usual. "Um...yeah, I'm sorry."

The redhead scoffed as he dusted himself off, having finished changing. Race stood with his arms crossed, his brows furrowed. "Whatever."

"You know, you're actually kind of rude", Race says, watching as the guy put his shoes on and tied them.

"I know", he says, looking at Race annoyedly. "It's one of my more redeeming qualities."

Race watched as he left, face red and pissed off. Other boys started walking in, and Race realized he might be late for class.