Chapter 7

I keep forgetting that this exists, so double update lol
—————————————————————

"There's no way I have a crush on him!" Race stood in front of a board, a dry-erase marker in his hand. "Here's why. Numero uno: His name is Albert-"

"Okay, Race", Jack stops him, looking at him with furrowed brows. He was sitting with his now boyfriend, Davey, who was right behind him as he sat between his legs. "This is little excessive."

"A lot excessive", Davey added, playing with Jack's hair.

"Now what is this about?" Crutchie was trading hats with Blink, who was messing around with a huge pair of sunglasses.

"And who the hell is Albert?" Race bit his lip at JoJo's question, looking away nervously.

"Wait", everyone turned to Elmer, who was sitting next to Spot. "My brother?"

"Since when did you have a brother?"

"Uh, since last year when my parents fostered another kid", Elmer answered like it was obvious.

"Okay, you never told us-"

"Whatever. Point is", Elmer stared at Race's blue eyes, question in his own, "are you talking about my brother?"

"Why does it matter if he is?" Elmer's jaw dropped at his boyfriend's question, like it was the most obscene thing he's ever heard. Then, he laughed.

"Nah, I'm joking. I don't care", he admitted, a smile on his face. "He really needs friends."

"Sure", Jack nodded, turning back to Race. "But seriously. Who?"

Race took a deep breath. "I may have been casually stalking this really nice looking redhead guy from our school since August."

Everyone stared at him in silence, the wheels in their heads turning.

Spot licked his lips. "Racer, what the fuck?"

"Yeah, I know", he sighs, shaking his head. "But it's not weird. I don't intentionally look for him he just...appare."

"Okay", Davey says. "How do you know him?"

"I ran into him in a jani- custodians closet after the Delanceys attacked me in the bathroom-"

"They what?"

"Dude, why didn't you say anything?!"

"Wow, you are really good at makeup."

Everyone glared at Blink. Race smiled in amusement, ultimately deciding to leave out certain parts. Like when I saw him without a shirt.

"The point is", Race says, drawing their attention back to him, "I made a new friend, and these are the reasons I don't like him."

———————

"I'm pretty sure he likes me", Albert admitted, taking a sip of his orange juice. Ralph choked.

"How do you know?" He coughed a few times, placing the glass down. "I mean, tal vez, tal vez no; it could mean anything."

Albert hummed, nodding as he drew an ant. "He blushed when he saw me with my shirt off."

"Any person would-"

"And he's constantly looking for me in the halls." Ralph nodded, thinking.

"Yeah, no, he definitely likes you." Ralph laughed as Albert focused on his drawing. He was glad Albert was opening up to him more than before.

"Bonjour, ma belle famille!" Fred walked into the kitchen with Elmer not far behind. "Nous mangeons de la pizza ce soir!"

Ralph cheered with a big smile as Albert and Elmer looked at him with question. "Pizza Bake, you guys!"

Elmer cheered as Albert smiled, tugging on the sleeve of his hoodie. "I already bought everything", Fred declared, gesturing to the bags in his hands. "But I could use some people to help me."

"I volunteer!" Fred laughed as he patted Elmer's back, smiling at the kiss he received from Ralph. He looked at Albert, who seemed to be in a happy mood. "Al?"

"No, thanks. I need to research my ants", Albert answers, grabbing a journal and his phone. "I do have a question, though."

"Shoot."

"Why aren't decomposers and scavengers considered the same thing? They both eat dead animals."

"Um..."

"No one eats decomposers, Albie", Elmer answers, grabbing pots and pans. Albert shook his head, remembering something.

"Untrue. Termites are detritivores- they're visible decomposers, as in we can see them do their job- but ants are their greatest predator." Albert smiled, writing in his notebook. "Which I'm assuming is an ant that can eat anything. Or just a regular omnivore."

"Wait, I thought termites were ants." Albert scoffed, crossing his arms as Elmer hid a laugh.

"Uh, no, Mr. Stefflan. They don't even remotely eat the same thing as ants. The only thing they have in common is that their anthropods."

"An-what?"

"I wonder if Ghost ants eat termites", Albert mutters, focused on his phone. His smile deflates into one of sadness. "Dannazione!"

"What's wrong, chiquito?" Ralph was unpacking the grocery bags but also keeping up with the story.

"Termites greatest predator is Argentine ants", Albert says, disappointment laced through his voice. "Which aren't even native to New York."

Ralph and Fred look at each other nervously, both deciding to check their attic. Sometimes, Albert being a secret nerd is cute and fun, then he brings up the possible threat of termites.

Elmer walks over to him, reading his phone. "Well, it says their an enemy to all ants."

"Okay, but that doesn't mean they eat them!" Albert threw his head back dramatically. "They probably, like, wasp them, or something."

"What?"

"Alright, we are good", Fred announced, clasping his hands together. "Who's ready?"

Elmer whooped as Albert began getting lost in his self inflicted research. "I'll be here as moral support", he announced, combing a hand through his hair. "And to make sure you three don't burn the house down together."

———————

"Hey, dad", Race sighed, closing the door with his foot. He looked up to find his dad standing in front of him, a beer bottle in hand. "What's up?"

"Where's your mother?" Race's brows furrowed, confusion covering his brain.

"She's not- she hasn't been here for seven years."

"Where is she?" Race stepped back at the venom in his voice, hoping he didn't get poisoned.

"Dad, she-"

"WHERE IS SHE?!" He threw the bottle at the door, narrowly missing Race's head.

"Fuck!"

Race covered his head before slowly turning around, seeing the pieces of glass everywhere. Guess I'm cleaning that up, too.

He turned back to his dad, pushing past him. "What the fuck is wrong with you, Ed?"

He walked to his room and took off his shoes, his backpack being thrown somewhere on the floor. He had homework to do, which could've been done if he didn't spend two hours talking about why he didn't like Albert.

Albert was cool. He was a little mysterious and didn't really know how to hold a conversation with the average teenage girl, but he was solid.

Race thought he was a little nerdy, and maybe he was ashamed of that. He seemed ashamed of it. But Race liked the way his mind worked, the part of it he saw anyway.

He smiled at the thought, trying to stop himself from smiling giddily. This is completely platonic.

Race sighed as he shook his head. He had a mess to clean, including the mess his father didn't get the memo to clean. He grabbed his phone, his earbuds, and walked out of room, thinking about the broom.