Chapter 4

"So, where do you want it?" Mr. Jenkins looked at Albert's pale hands, standing back as he looked at the wall.

"Right there's fine", he nodded, smiling as Albert leaned down, careful not to move the paper. "Thanks for helping me, kid."

"It's all cool, Mr. Jenkins", Albert says, taping the poster to the wall. "Call it compensation for letting me eat lunch in the custodian closet for the past three years."

Mr. Jenkins laughed, shaking his head. "Yeah."

Albert climbed down from the chair, standing back. The paper looked perfectly straight, it's green writing bold and proud. "It looks good."

"Mr. Jenkins!" Both guys looked over toward the hallway, finding a red haired girl and a brunette guy running down the hallway. "We're here to help with the poster."

"Too late", Mr. Jenkins sighed, glancing at Albert. "My pal, Albert, already put it up."

To say the least, Albert hated the look they were giving him. Pity, if he knew worse. They felt bad for him, probably because he was friends with the coolest adult he's met in a while. I'll have you know, Mr. Jenkins is awesome!

"I'm JoJo", the brunette says, offering his hand. Albert shook it hesitantly. "This is Katherine. We're the presidents of the Recycling Committee."

Albert squinted at Katherine. "You used to date that Jack Kelly kid."

"Glad to know you know my name's tied to something", she says, chuckling. Albert saw her nervous but pissed off attitude, although no one else seemed to notice. "And we're good friends, now."

"Right."

"Anything you kids need?" Albert looked at Mr. Jenkins then glanced at JoJo and Katherine.

"We were wondering when our next clean up would be", Katherine spoke, taking out a notepad. "Some of the other members asked and I didn't have an answer for them."

"We also need to know when the art contest will be", JoJo added. "Just to put it in my calendar."

Mr. Jenkins chuckled. "The clean up isnext weekend, Kath, after this one. And the contest isn't until January, JoJo."

Katherine smiled happily as JoJo smiled disappointedly, both of them walking off with goodbyes. Albert bit his lip out of habit.

"Nice kids", Mr. Jenkins muttered. Albert nodded.

"Yeah", he agreed, grabbing the folding chair and walking back to the closet with the older man. "But I think they thought I was new."

Mr. Jenkins laughed as he walked down the hall.

——————

"No, you're wrong", Jack argued, pointing his fork at Race. "You're utterly wrong."

"I'm not", Race assured, pushing his tray away. "Broccoli is good!"

"It's a vile plant that should be destroyed", Jack says, poking his fork through the fruit in his cup. "Absolutely disgusting."

"You're only saying that because you're a picky eater."

"And yet, I've never had food poisoning."

Race rolled his eyes as his face flushed, looking over when his other friend walked over. "Hey, El."

"Afternoon, everyone", Elmer greeted, raising his brows when he saw Davey. "We haven't met. I'm Elmer."

"Davey", he says, offering a kind smile. Race licked his lips and turned to Elmer.

"Where have you been? I haven't seen you since the summer."