Chapter 17

August 23rd, 1949 - California

Peggy and Scarlet walked into Dr. Reinstein's building, "Ready for this?" Peggy asked.

"Well I'm ready to eat... so yeah." Scarlet said with a laugh as they walked into Dr. Reinstein's personal lab and looked around."

Phillips chuckled from his spot on a stool next to the chair, "Sorry Barnes, unless this is a success we are keeping this one low key. The American people would be slightly worried if we were creating Super Soldiers when we were not in an active war."

Scarlet looked at Dr. Reinstein. "How do you want me Doc?"

"Take your shirt off and lie on this table." Dr. Reinstein told her, "And just relax."

Scarlet climbed onto the table and handed her shirt to one of his assistants so that she was lying on the table in just her bra and a pair of shorts, "Peggy come here please."

Peggy walked over and Scarlet took off her wedding rings. "Watch them for me."

"Colonel Phillips, Agent Carter and Mr. Stark, please follow me. I will show you to the reception room and we have some light refreshments set up." One of his assistants told them.

Scarlet watched them as they walked away, "It's hot in here or is it just me?" She asked Dr. Reinstein.

"Slightly, air is on the fritz. This is what we are going to do Scarlet; I want to protect your eyes and your muscles in your throat. Steve screamed and with the electrical currents, I just want to be proactive. So I have this spray with a chemical that is safe but will numb any pain in those areas." Dr. Reinstein told her.

Scarlet nodded as he got a bottle out.

"I couldn't flavor it, so it probably tastes really horrid." Dr. Reinstein told her, "Say Ah."

Scarlet opened her mouth and he sprayed it coating her throat. She gagged and coughed. "God that was horrid." She said as her voice trailed off.

"Good means it got to the vocal cords." Dr. Reinstein told her. "Look straight up."

Scarlet looked at the ceiling and tried not to blink as he sprayed both of her eyes.

"Okay close your eyes." He told her.

Scarlet closed her eyes.

"You may experience some vision issues; essentially I would love if you were temporarily blind if that means it reaches your retinas." Dr. Reinstein told her as she heard him walking around and messing with things. "Try opening your eyes. Any difference?"

"Everything is blurry." Scarlet told him.

"Don't squint, I'm going to spray each eye one more time." Dr. Reinstein told her, "I want the muscles relaxed as much as possible with the procedure."

Scarlet closed her eyes again after he sprayed them then opened them to see nothing when he told her to, "I see nothing."

"Not shapes or light?" He asked fiddling with something, "I am going to shine a light in your eye... tell me if you see anything."

"No, I felt a slight pinch maybe..." Scarlet told him.

"Your eyes are trying to fight the numbing agent." Dr. Reinstein told her, "It will be fine. Hopefully you will have the enhanced metabolism like Steve and your body will fight off the numbing agent as soon as it spreads through your body. Open wide once more." He said as he sprayed her throat again.

"We are ready sir." Someone said on her right.

"Agent Carter, Colonel Phillips and Mr. Stark, just in time. There will be no radiation but I still advise you all to stand back. We are going to attach the electrodes now." Dr. Reinstein told her.