Chapter 37

Once they reached his house, Tony was changed and down in the workshop before Scarlet could finish changing. She entered the workshop with a blanket and some snacks in hand. Tony was on the couch, working on an arm of his suit, and watching the news. It was all about what was happening in Gulmira.

The TV showed a news reporter standing in the desert, next to a line of villagers making their way down a difficult-looking ravine carrying what few possessions they had.

"The fifteen mile hike to the outskirts of Gulmira can only be described as a descent into hell, into a modern day Heart of Darkness," the report began. "Simple farmers and herders from peaceful villages have been driven from their homes, displaced from their lands by warlords emboldened by a newfound power. . ."

Tony sat and watched, twirling with a screwdriver at some part of the glove of his new red-and-gold Suit.

"I brought some snacks," Scarlet said as she walked up to Tony. No response. "I noticed that the arm of your suit is now red. Did you paint it?" Still nothing. "Tony. I'm just trying to help."

Scarlet sat beside him on the couch. He still silently worked on his arm, glaring and focused on the voice of the newscaster.

"Villagers have been forced to take shelter in whatever crude dwellings they can find - in the ruins of other villages, or here in the remnants of an old Soviet smelting pot

"Villagers have been forced to take shelter in whatever crude dwellings they can find - in the ruins of other villages, or here in the remnants of an old Soviet smelting pot."

The flight stabiliser in the palm of the glove began to glow as Tony watched live footage of armed men making their way through the ruins of a town.

"Recent violence has been attributed to a group of foreign fighters referred to by locals as the Ten Rings," there came an image of none other than Raza himself standing in the doorway of a stone house while local townspeople fled past him. "As you can see, these men are heavily armed and on a mission - a mission that could prove fatal to anyone who stands in their way. . ."

When the Jericho missile appeared on the screen, Tony's metal-gloved hand clenched.

Suddenly he stood up.

"With no political will or international pressure, there is very little hope for these refugees. . ."