Chapter 5

"How many of you are ready to help me and Red Angel sock old Adolf on the jaw?" Steve asked, garbed in bold costume on stage. The hundreds of men seated in the dirt stared back at him in their drab uniforms in silence. "Okay, uh..." he said gracelessly.

"The awkwardness," Scarlet winced to Steve's agreeing smile.

The collection was five miles from the warfront in Italy, and it was November of 1943. He attempted to recover from between the columns topped with golden eagles and the bright USO stars and stripes, "I need a volunteer."

"I already volunteered – how do you think I got here?" one shouted to others' laughter.

Scarlet stilled in preparation for the taunts about to be publicly focused upon Steve.

"Bring back the girls!" another inserted to a chorus of enthusiastic cheering.

"Yeah!" The soldiers shouted.

"Or have little Birdie up there do a show for us instead!" Another soldier called and cat calls and whistles were heard.

Scarlet wanted to kill them all. "I think they only know the one song, but, um... Let me. I'll see what I can do." She snapped stepping up to the microphone as Steve cast his gaze offstage.

"You do that, sweetheart," a soldier jeered and then wolf whistled at her.

"Это будет так легко, просто пристрелите их всех." Scarlet grumbled speaking in Russian so no one could understand her. ["It'll be so easy, just shoot them all."]

"Nice boots, Tinker Bell!" Hodge mocked to tittering mirth.

Scarlet scowled. "Или я могу просто сломать им шеи, одну за другой." {"Or I might just break their necks, one by one."}

"Should knock that guy out," Scarlet advised with a sneer.

"Come on, guys," Steve coaxed. "We're all on the same team here."

"Hey, Captain!" another shouted, standing and turning his back. "Sign this!" he called as he lowered the waist of his pants to expose his behind. Steve glanced away at the sight and guffawing as he pulled his slacks back up, another standing to hurl a tomato at him. Beneath the banner proudly stating that 'The Hollywood Overseas Committee presents CAPTAIN AMERICA AND RED ANGEL', the man hid behind his shield pulling Scarlet behind him.

 Beneath the banner proudly stating that 'The Hollywood Overseas Committee presents CAPTAIN AMERICA AND RED ANGEL', the man hid behind his shield pulling Scarlet behind him

"At least the shield came in handy," Scarlet inserted.