Chapter 31: The Final Floor

(3rd Person's POV)

"Mukuro Ikusaba."

"...What?"

"Mukuro Ikusaba... The seventeenth student, lying hidden somewhere in this school... The one they call the Ultimate Despair... Watch out for her."

That conversation echoed in Sora's mind. Kyoko told her to watch out for Mukuro Ikusaba...

That was three days before...the next incident. Three days before she and the surviving students would be forced to deal with another murder...

Three days before she would discover the worst thing that would happen so far...

----

The next day...

"..."

Sora Shirayuki was once again laying in her bed, her thoughts being engulfed with the memories of yesterday. She again was wearing a white t-shirt and lavender boxers, tightly hugging her pillow.

After the mess that was Sakura's trial, all of the students had agreed to put their differences aside to focus on taking down the mastermind. And while it was nice to know that she didn't have to worry about anyone killing her any time soon, there's something... wrong.

"..."

The blonde hugged her pillow tighter as she blankly stared at the wall her body was facing, her eyes shining with enigmatic intent. Despite this change of tone of the killing game and how the students agreed to be united, she didn't feel like how someone would feel.

In fact, she didn't feel anything. She didn't feel joy, she didn't feel guilt, she didn't feel regret. She didn't feel or show any notable emotion.

Why do I feel that...something's wrong...?

---

Later, in the dining hall, the day after Sakura's trial...

"So, let's begin the usual post-trial investigation." Byakuya suggested.

"Hey, you didn't make small talk or anything! We never just get straight to the point like that!" Hiro complained.

Byakuya just chuckled. "If you want to keep up with me, you must refrain from pointless small talk."

Hina sighed. "Jeez, how high is that horse of yours?"

"He just acts like that to hide his own insecurities." Hiro assumed. "That's what I like to think, anyway..."

Byakuya rolled his eyes. "Regardless, if you want to defeat the mastermind, you need to follow my lead. They creep around the school like a mouse, but the mastermind's pride is as bloated as a cow's udder. And no matter what it takes, I will rid this world of them..." He declared.

"..."

"Hey, Fukawa...you've been pretty quiet." Hiro looked at the writer.

"..."

"Man, you're so boring now! You just sit there, like a mushroom. Gonna start calling you Miss Mushroom!" Hiro laughed.

"..." Although Toko looked annoyed, she still didn't utter out a single word.

"She didn't snap back at you..." Hina said.

"Her talking makes things difficult. So I told her not to open her mouth without permission." Byakuya explained.

Hina widened her eyes in shock. "What!? But if she can't open her mouth, she can't eat! Or drink water!"

"I don't care."