Chapter XV: The True Enemy

By 11:00AM, Nicholas felt quite rested indeed. His limbs felt strong, his head felt fine, and he was ready to seize the day. His injury did not bother him a bit, either. Breakfast had been brought to him as normal, and Olivia had also reported to him that according to the checkup, he would be free to leave by noontime. He asked her about Judy's condition, and Olivia told him that her leg fortunately did not have any broken bones or any critical tissue damage, but she would still need to rest for at least another day or two. I can only imagine how torturous that must be for Judy. Nick thought to himself. I should go and see how she's doing myself. Nick consented. Getting permission from Olivia, he made his way toward Judy's room, which fortunately happened to be next door.

Judy lay relaxed on her bed, having received her morning breakfast of carrots with carrot juice on the side

Judy lay relaxed on her bed, having received her morning breakfast of carrots with carrot juice on the side. Her eyes lit up as she saw Nicholas walk through the door. "Oh Nick, I'm so glad to see you up and about already." she commented, her eyes filled with happiness. Taking a look at her leg, he saw that her left leg was still wrapped up, and from the looks of it was not fully healed yet. "I assume you cannot go anywhere yet?" he asked her. "Unfortunately, I can't." Judy replied. "Oh, what I wouldn't give to be out of this place already! I mean, the staff is very supportive and kind, but I hate being stuck in the same room all day, staring either at the TV screen or the walls." Nicholas' eyes were filled with sympathy as he looked at her, easily telling that she was doing her best to cope with her situation. "Hey Carrots, I wanted to check on Mr. Big with the time I have, considering I can't report back to the ZPD." he told her. "Can't report back? What do you mean?" Judy asked, her ears standing erect with surprise. "Well, the thing is Carrots...Bogo fired me." Nick told her. "Are you kidding me?" Judy replied, "This has got to be Jack's doing. I don't know what it is Nick, but for some reason he seems to hate your guts." Judging from her look, Nicholas assumed that she had already guessed the reason, but he did not bother pressing her. Besides, that was not what he had come here to ask her about.

Before Judy could make any more comments, he asked her about the item which he had come for, "Carrots, didn't Mr. Big give you the card?" "He did. I've got it right here with me." Judy replied, "But there is a little price you have to pay." Nick saw a dangerous look in her eyes, and though he could easily have guessed what this "price" was, he decided to ask her anyway, "And what might that price be?" "Do you need to ask, sly fox?" Judy replied warmly, her face coming closer and closer to his. Feeling warm emotion rushing through him, urging him onward, Judy and Nick smiled as they touched noses for a brief moment. When all was said and done, she gave him the card, and Nicholas made his way toward the door. "I will be waiting for you, Carrots." Nick told her before he left. "Don't bother waiting. I will catch up to you eventually." came the reply. Looking back at her with a look of false doubt, he asked her warmly, "And how will you be able to do that, my dear?" With a playful, warm look in her own eyes, she told him in reply, "It's called a hustle, sweetheart." Ever grateful for Judy's good humor, something she had slowly gained from their time together, Nicholas checked out of the hospital at noontime, ready to see a friend of his once more.