The meaning of the Pawn

"It's been a while..." I looked up to Kit when he suddenly uttered that. Nakakahilo ang ilaw sa paligid na tila sumasayaw. Isama pa ang ingay sa paligid. typically scenario in the bar.  I just want to go home and cuddle with my son and husband but today is Kit's day so I need to bear it. Actually, Kit's party will be held tomorrow but he wants us to celebrate. Only the two of us. 

"Yeah, we've been busy dealing in our life," I respond and took a gulp of my drink. Gumuhit ang pait at init nito sa lalamunan ko. He smiled at me. A smile filled with happiness. 

"I'm going to get married, soon. Ganther." he showed his hand with a ring. I can't help but beam. Kit is my best friend. And I'm so happy knowing he'll be having his own ataraxia. He deserve it.

"Congratulation," I greeted him. "When is the wedding?" 

"We're preparing it and it's 3 months from now. And I want you to become my best man." Looking at him right now. He seems so sure about me? Being his best man. 

"Why?" He frowned. I am still guilty every time I see Kit. I've been hard on him. "Look, Kit. I know it's been almost a decade since we meet but I feel so bad every time I remember that pain and disappointment in your eyes when I rejected you as my friend. You always make sure I am safe but I am the one who put myself in danger. I really don't understand. You should hate me for hurting you inside while facing death." 

Kit shrugged before drinking. "Ganther, ngayon ko lang napagtanto na sa tagal ng panahon ngayon lang tayo nag-usap nang ganito. After we were freed in that university. Everything becomes calm. I mean. All the issues. All the pain we've caused to each other is suddenly set aside especially when we see you suffering. Nakakatawa kasi, Tyren betrayed his best friends but they acted nothing happens. You? You played a big part in our suffering. Stealing the key. Confusing us, as f*ck. But the moment you shed tears in front of me while telling me I should choose. That time I saw the true meaning of friendship. You didn't show but you are protecting me. A kind of friend that will not be going to show his way to care and love. He'll just move behind my back and protect me. I've never had someone like you in my life, Ganther. I'm a stupid nerd that no one wants to be with. But you came. A curious pretending to be a nerd to become weak and to protect those really weak. Ikaw 'yong tipo ng kaibigang kikilos ng parang anino sa dilim. This is the very first time we talked about it. And I want you to know. You are one of the reasons why Leighton University? That hell? All of the sudden become feels like home to me." He wiped my tears away. And smiled at me. 

"I hate seeing you cry. Let go of those memories that grip your neck and make you feel choked. No one is blaming you okay?" 

"Why we didn't talk about this before?" I cackled while asking that. 

He shook his head and laugh too. He also wiped his tears off. "We all have a moment. And this is our moment." 

"Do you want to know a secret, Kit?" he hummed. "Do you know why I labeled you as my pawn?" 

"Because I am one who'll make you enter in the game? The one who let you know what kind of game we had. And I am the first one you moved in your board when you talked to me that time." He's referring to the first time I talked to him. My first day at University. 

"No," His forehead knotted. And stared at me with confusion. "You are my pawn because you are one of the people inside the university who has the power like a king. In chessboard, the pawn is always the first one that the player typically moved. Pawns are a defense to protect the other piece. The pawn is small but powerful. The Pawn moves directly forward, never backward or to the side. Kung sa gera ikaw ang unang aabante. You are the bravest. And the moment I saw you that day I don't see the weak and loser that they said to you. Do you know what I see? A man who's brave to move forward. And that's what you did, Kit. You lead the others forward at the moment you choose to fight together against those men. And I know I'm late to tell you this but. You did great. And thank you for being my pawn." 

"T-thank you, Ganther..." Umiling ako. I tapped his shoulder. 

"Silly, I should the one who says thank you. Thank you, Kit. For letting me use you. As my pawn to win the board of life inside in Leighton. I am the player but I am not going to win against the battle of life if I don't have all of the pieces with me. And it's you and the others."

[A/n Someone asked me bakit daw pawn si Kit. So here is it. Binigyan ko ng chapter 'yong dalawa. Because all of the characters here in this book, Kit is one of my best characters.]