C H A P T E R 63

63 | The Well Wisher

"Hey, Mase." Camila smiled, taking a seat next to me on the bench in the garden.

I instinctively shifted away.

"Hi." I said awkawardly. That's how I felt with her after seeing my portraits. I was creeped out by her now. Eek!

"I missed you." She mumbled looking down at her lap and pulled her legs up.

I didn't.

Why was she behaving so strangely? With strange, I meant normal. When she behaves normal and not like a poisonous snake, that's strange.

"I just remembered I had something to do." I got up but she quickly grabbed my hand, emerald eyes almost pleading me to stay.

Could this get any more awkward?

"Please stay. Allegra won't die if you aren't around her for five minutes."

I'd have to google what to do in such situations.

Nonetheless, I sat back down but remained silent, not knowing what to speak. My silence made her giggle. She raised a finger and gently touched my forehead while I stared at her wide eyes.

What the fuck was she doing?

Will I die?

"See? Now it's good." She straightened the creases between my brows. "Relax a little, Mase. You deserve it. Why are you always so tensed and stressed?"

Because there are people like you and your Visitant friend around.

"I guess that's how I am." I shrugged.

"You've done a lot, Mase." She looked around cautiously before softly resting her hand over mine which I quickly retraced. Her face dropped but the hurt didn't quite reach my heart.

"A lot?" I played with my earring, not exactly knowing what she meant.

"You didn't even get a proper childhood that every kid deserved. You always had this pressure to protect your sister. I don't know if anyone told you this but you've done a great job, Mase." She passed me a smile which was serene and oddly calming.

How ironic was it to find solace in my enemy's words.

"Being Vittoria Rivera's Keeper would still be easy. But you were Vittoria Andress's brother —a brother as good as a father."

That sounded like a poetry.

But why was she suddenly being so insistent about me relaxing.

Me. Relaxed.

Those words only flashed her paintings before my eyes. I still couldn't get over them. I hate to admit but that version of me was what I craved for since a long time. It was frightening how she sensed it in me.