Chapter 128: Kapow!

Start from the beginning

Uncle John was not so kind.

"Gwendolyn Mary Moria Pan this really is enough! I know this morning was trying but I've been given strict instructions from your mother to ONE ensure you are packed and TWO introduce you to your grandmother and cousin!"

Gwen momentarily forgot about the shadow. Grandmother? Cousin?

The doorknob rattled. Gwen could just imagine her uncle brandishing his trademark umbrella.

"Gwen, I'll not ask you again! If you're awake and I find you've been ignoring me, I suggest you prepare yourself for a sound lecturing – "

"Dude chill out, it's all good." A new, yet oddly familiar girl-voice spoke. "I met Siracha yesterday."

"Young lady," John replied. "You may call me Uncle John or Uncle Minister-of-Finance, but you may not call me – "

"Gweny?" Michaleen called. "Gwen?"

Gwen lifted her head. She could see Michaleen's nose pressed under the threshold. "Gweny can you come out? Pwease?"

Pwease. Speech impediment. He was anxious. Probably because there were so many people and Gwen wasn't there to buffer the crowd.

Heavily, Gwen rolled out of bed and opened the door.

"Well!" John huffed as Michaleen hugged Gwen's knees. "Thank you for gracing us with your presence! Is there anything you'd like to say for yourself, Miss Gwen?"

Gwen looked behind John at her alleged grandmother and cousin. Her 'grandmother' was unfamiliar but her cousin –

"Kapow!" Melody opened her arms. "Hey Siracha! Long time no see!"

John frowned. "You've met already? That's strange. Wendy said you hadn't been introduced."

Gwen's stomach fluttered. By some miracle her fight with Rufio (and subsequent arrest) had gone unnoticed by her employer and family; Chien Po had been too preoccupied with Tinkerbell and her family hadn't been present.

Well...with the exception of her newfound cousin and grandmother.

Sarah cleared her throat.

"Melody and I dined at Chien Po's Noodle Bar several nights back. Gwen wasn't our server but we saw her...performance."

She winked. "You're a talented dancer, my dear."

"I'll say." Melody threw miniscule punches. "Dance in the ring."

"Hm." John peered suspiciously between the three ladies. Deciding to move forward, he placed a lofty hand on Sarah's shoulder.

"Well then, I say that formal introductions are in order. Gwen, allow me to introduce your Grandmother Sarah and cousin Melody."

Gwen frowned. "I thought your parents had passed away."

"I'm getting to it." John said. "You see, Mother Sarah is our adopted mother. And by our I mean myself, Uncle Michael, and your mother. Melody is her biological granddaughter, and therefore your adopted cousin."

Michaleen cocked his head. "Huh? Adopt-what?"

"Grandmother - " John pointed between Sarah and Melody with his umbrella. "Cousin. It's really quite that simple."

"It's really quite not." Gwen entreated her uncle. "Since when do you have an adopted mother? Why haven't we met before? You would think that a grandmother – adopted or not – would have been to at least one Christmas party. Unless, she wasn't important enough – "