Chapter 2: Daffodils

Start from the beginning

My mate or at least his name was known for me now; Jordan. He seemed to see me listening to his friend attentively and grabbed my wrist pulling me closer but not close enough to touch him after he dropped my wrist.

The guy gave a small knowing smile and continued "Uh, yeah so what do you want me to do?"

"You handle her," Jordan ground out uncaringly, flipping his hair out of his face a little. I gasped running over and grasped the guy's hand pleading.

"Don't hurt her! She's only looking out for my well being!"

Jordan's hand wrapped around my center and effectively pulled me from the guy growling. "We're not going to kill her. I was just telling him to settle her down."

"I can go with him! She needs to see that I'm alright." I affirmed grabbing Jordan's hand and tugging him in the direction of our dorms. He barely budged and I'm sure he could have stayed still but he was humoring me.

"She has no idea who you are, does she?" The boy asked and I turned to Jordan who just shrugged. I gave him another look over. He looked like he would be an Alpha that much is for sure. He had the nice build for it and everything. His face was beautiful that of a Greek god and he had only slight stubble like he didn't really grow too much facial hair but he grew some.  His hair placed shaggily over his head looked like it was as soft as wind but thick and luscious and I just wanted to run my fingers through it.

As much as I tugged on his hand to go faster—which I was enjoying because of the warm tingles and shots of tiny sparks dancing up my skin from our contact, he would not move any faster and I knew he wouldn't let me out of his sights. After a couple of seconds of walking he literally pried my hand off of his. So I just skipped beside him picking up daffodils on the way back to the dorms.

"So what's your name?" I asked turning to the guy who delivered the news and seemed like the Beta.

Jordan sent a low growl but the guy ignored it and smiled at me. "I'm Max, the beta of the Blue Ash pack." He stuck his hand out to shake and when I reached for it, I was pulled back. I looked up at Jordan who's lip was curled up in a snarl.

Then I thought about something. The Blue Ash Pack. My eyes got wide and I abruptly let go of Jordan's hand although he didn't seem to mind. His passive eyes seemed to know what was about to happen.

"Alpha Gage?" I whispered and he let out a breath. I took that moment to start running as fast as I could back to the dorms. I knew he wasn't chasing me and I also knew that he would eventually get me.

***

"Kaliko?" I called frantically through the dorm room. When she popped out of my room I was pleasantly surprised. But when I saw the tears I stopped in my tracks. "Kaliko, what's wrong?"

"You're growing up!" I should've known the drama queen would bring out the waterworks and cry about something that should be magical but isn't.

"Listen Ko, he's the Alpha of The Blue Ash pack. A warrior fighting pack, he hasn't spoken to me directly since I met him, and he growls at me anytime I talk to anyone else. Now, I don't know what he has in mind, but please don't let him take me." I was lying but serious at the same time. He was my mate rather I wanted him to be or not. I couldn't be away from him unless he rejected me or something.

"Kore, perhaps he's not all the rumors we hear about him. You ever think about that? He's your mate. You don't feel any incentive to try at least? You don't already feel connected to him? He's not the dictator Kore, his dad was. Just because he's mean, doesn't mean he'll be that way to you."

She was right I was giving up on something that was borderline impossible. Even if I ran now, I'd be in his arms by the end of the night. Or not necessarily his arms because he didn't seem to like to be touched. Or at least not by me?