Out And About

"So, uh, thanks" Belle says after I had helped pull Ivan and Puck out of the chimney.

I had called for Casp's help but he thought the best way to motivate them to move was by lighting a fire beneath them.
Though it was stupid, it was effective. Puck and Ivan squirmed out easily after they saw the heat of the flames.

I nod at Belle and look over at Puck who was trying in vain to dust himself off. He had soot and ash covering every inch of his body.

He clapped his hands and a cloud of dust spurted towards Lonnie who was watching him with interested eyes.

When the dust hit her Puck gasped and tried to apologize in sign language but Lonnie was laughing and crouched down to get her hands filled with the dried dirt before she blew dust at him.

Puck then smiled and did it back to her. Lonnie laughed and ran away as he chased her. She jumped over him and blew dust and they played like little kids.

It was fun to watch and I had the urge to participate but I made myself stand still and instead turned.

Ivan had left to take a shower which left everyone else here. Lonnie and Puck having a go at each other while Casp tried to talk to Belle about the mechanics of the house.

"So that's why you need booby traps" Casp was saying to her.

"Oh uh, I'll keep it in mind" She said while awkwardly looking around.

"Belle this is Caspian, he goes by Casp, he is my-" I start but Casp interrupted.

"First cousin TWICE removed." He said, lifting two fingers "People will get it wrong so make sure you don't!"

Belle nodded awkwardly and I sigh then grab Casp's hood an dpull him away before he can make her even more uncomfortable.

"Let's go Casp" I say.

He scowls and turns before swatting my arm away.

"Hey hey! Don't try to boss me around! You might be the Ace but I'm dangerous too!" He said as he pointed at me.

I resist the urge to roll my eyes.

We get back in the car right as I see dark clouds starting to cover the sky.

"Is there anywhere else we can go?" Casp asked. "I don't want to hang around the house."

"Why not?" I ask. "There are thousands of things you can do there!"

He rolled his eyes "I've lived in a mansion my whole life. I think I know what's inside another."

I sigh "What do you want to do than?" I ask.

"What did you do when you were younger than?" Casp asks.

I intended to ignore the question but it travels into my mind and points out what a different life I have now.

I think of the talks I had with Caleb as we walked down the neighborhood roads.

We would play basketball, run through the city, go to the park's stream and throw rocks before pushing each other in. After that we'd get smoothies and hang out at his house. We'd watch movies, play video games, and I would dare him to talk to the girl who lives next to him. He always had a slight crush on Maddie Scotch ever since she moves in next to him. We'd find every possible way to talk to her. We'd throw balls into her backyard, land his drone on her roof, and ask if she's seen his cat that he didn't have.

She was leagues above us but still let us check her backyard or whatever thing we had said.

I'm pretty sure she caught on that Caleb didn't have a cat and didn't have that bad of aim but she played along anyway.