Nice Things Break

"Lloyd! Move your junk!" Tory screamed.

It had been a sunny Sunday afternoon and Caleb had been at church with his family. I was at my house with Tory who was trying to get the house ready for her spa day with her friends.

I looked up from my book to see Tory push off a magazine collection of woman in bikinis. To rephrase that it was Conner's magazine collection of woman in bikinis. My brother was a twenty year old living in his childhood room, reading magazine with inappropriate pictures on them. He had attempted to move out many times! He all but gave up after packing away the first box. Today though, it was final. Dad wanted him out.

With the sound of the box with magazines crashing into the empty fish bowl, Conner came running down the stairs in his gym shorts and muscle shirt. He had the muscle shirt and shorts but no muscle, figures.

Conner gasped and ran over to the magazines.

"What happened?!" He exclaimed angrily as he picked up his magazines like one would pick up a newborn.

He looked at Tory but she just shrugged and said "I dunno what happened, I saw Lloyd touching them last."

Fire exploded in my brother's eyes and I watched as he stormed over to me.

"Did you throw my magazines on the floor?!" He snapped.

"No" I reply.

"Then who did?" He snarled.

I glance at Tory who is glaring at me. Snit he's get stitches, but my sister can get away with anything.

"Tory did." I answer.

Conner scoffed "Yeah right! Tory loves me."

"Yeah I love you big brother!" She cooed it like she was still five years old. I learned that that was her way of getting out of trouble, acting babyish because who would punish a baby. She did it to everyone in the family, but she never extended that courtesy to me for which I'm thankful.

Conner turned back to me "So the only person who could have done it was you!"

Does it look like I read that crap! I don't say that though because mom would suddenly hear and ground me for something I didn't do.

I decide to ignore him and turn back to my book but he makes quick work of hitting that out of my hand.

"Now you know how I feel!" He snarled before turning and calling for mom to ask if he really has to go so soon.

My hands were in fists, ready to soccer punch Conner in his "model" nose but considering the other things he would do when he was angry, throwing my book across the room was nothing. I was lucky he didn't dip it in the old soup on the stove.

I walk over to pick up my book and dust it off. I had walked into the living room to read since Conner was doing all sorts of things in our room but I'm realize it was a mistake to not just hide outside.

The door bell rang and I stopped to listen to the voice.

"Is Lloyd home?" Caleb's voice asked

"Who?" My mom's voice replied.

I ran to the front door and saw Caleb. "Hey!" I called.

Caleb grinned at me and said "Want to get a smoothies?"

"Yes" I start but mom intervened.

"No" She said.

We both blink and look at her. She had never gotten in the way of our galavanting before.

She looked at me and said "You'll need to help your brother move into his new place by carrying some boxes."

I wanted to remind her that she didn't know who I was until a few minutes ago but I didn't.