The lock is rusty too. Would it be too loud if he broke it? Isaac digs his nails into the lock, meeting resistance. How could he break it? Just as he is thinking carefully about what to do and how to do it silently, his stomach growls once more. It's a strong pain, almost like someone kicks him in the gut. Overflowing anger and discomfort floods through his body. He grows frustrated in a matter of a second, and it floods his brain. Through his anger and frustration, feeling helpless and suddenly aggressive, Isaac steps back. He then flings his body towards the cell door as harshly as possible, landing against the metal with a loud boom. When the door budges he does it again, without thinking about it.

The door bursts open at his second try. The door is so rusty that it falls to the floor and breaks into two pieces. It makes a very loud sound that echoes across the hallway. Isaac first realizes what he has done when the door is already on the ground. He gulps. Before anyone can react, before any guards start flooding in and before the other prisoners start throwing a fit, Isaac feels his fight or flight activate. Adrenaline floods into his veins and his pulse quickens. This is it. This is the moment. He has already done it, and now all he can do is live with the consequences.

Before they can capture him and put him in a better cell, Isaac sprints. He runs and runs. But then he stops. Guards are tumbling through the hallways, he can hear them but not see them. If he goes in this direction, they will definitely find him and capture him. So he suddenly turns around and starts sprinting back to his cell. Heart beating loudly in his throat and eyes tearing up. But the adrenaline makes him forget about his hunger and bruises. It's a good feeling.

Isaac reaches his cell. He jumps over the cell door and runs further down the hallway. There are no cells here, just a wall, the absolute deepest part of the dungeon. A pile of wooden crates stand against the wall, some sort of storage. Isaac runs as fast as he can, hearing the guards come closer to his old cell. He hides behind the crates, crouching down and places a hand in front of his mouth to keep any sounds away. A genius plan.

Because what guards would expect their prisoner to run further into the dungeons? Obviously they would run towards the exit. So they are just going to assume that he already escaped and leave the dungeons to go look for him. That's when he'll stand up from behind these crates and leave the dungeons, safely and quietly without any guards on his back. A perfect plan, a spontaneous but perfect plan.

Isaac hears the guards reach his cell. He can hear them curse loudly and kick the rusty door on the floor. He hides as much as possible and forces his breathing to slow down, no matter how uncomfortable that is.

"I knew sending him here was a bad idea, that f*cking queen doesn't know sh*t"

Isaac tries to translate what they are saying in his head. He can understand the swear words.

"Well what do we tell her?"

They step around, not even bothering to come close to where he is hiding. Isaac smiles behind his hand. Victory is his. He has never felt this smart before. Not only did he manage to escape within minutes of waking up, but he also managed to outsmart the guards without having a well-thought-out plan. He is a genius, nothing less. And although Irene is going to be both very mad and very worried, he can't wait to brag about this.

"No, let's go look for him first. He can't have gotten far with his wounds"

Isaac holds back his laughs. He can't get far? He has worked at sea with more bruises than right now, he has worked through storms, starvation and sleep deprivation. He has seen his family and friends die and still worked. Nothing has ever brought him down. It seems like the problem with these guards is that they underestimate their prisoners based on looks and rumors. How funny.