He always took care of me. His brotherly love and affection made up for the nonchalant attitude that my parents had toward me.

As we grew old, the time came when Vivek went to the USA to do his MBA.

I was happy that my brother was pursuing his dream, but I also felt lonely ever since he left home.

My parents never talked much with me. They always pretended like I did not exist and did not like it if I ever came in front of them. So, I mostly stayed in my room.

Owing to my introvert and shy nature, I did not have any close friends too.

Therefore, without my brother, I used to get utterly alone.

I used to wait for the times when Vivek would come home during his vacation as those were the only days when I did not feel lonely.

The time passed the same way every day, and although I always felt the pain of being unwanted by my parents, I still had found a way to be ok with that because I had my brother's love.

But everything changed when we got the news of Vivek's death.

I completely broke down that night. So shattered I was that I denied it for hours and tried to contact Vivek by calling and messaging him, hoping desperately that he would reply and tell me he was alive and there had been a misunderstanding.

But all my hopes drowned when Vivek's body was brought to the house.

I cried the most that day when I had to finally accept that I lost my brother.

My parents were broken too. They were so devastated that they decided to move to a new place.

But they did not want to take me with them. So, they told me that they would be getting me married before leaving.

I was not given a choice, just an ultimatum.

They did not even consider letting me meet with my to-be husband. The only thing they said was he liked my photo and wanted to marry me.

And with that, I, Nandini Iyer, was married to Manik Sisodiya within a week.

"Manik Sisodiya," I tentatively whisper.

Looking around, I notice his photo on the center table of the room.

Picking up the photo frame, I gently caress it.

All my life, I have been an unwanted daughter of my parents.

Vivek was with me, but I always craved a family who would accept me. A home where I could belong.

And now, when I am married, I hope that my husband and his family will accept me.

I am still anxious about how to proceed and talk with Manik because I did not get to meet him even once before our marriage.

I only saw him today when he came to my house to marry me.

Amidst the wedding proceedings, I did not even get a chance to say a word to him.

Although I could not talk with him, I had noticed him look somewhat angry and sad too.

That is why my worry is increasing with each passing second.

What if he is not happy with this marriage? What if he does not want me as his wife?

"You are overthinking, Nandini. Maa and Papa had told you that Manik saw your photo and liked you, which is why he agreed to marry you." I say out loud, trying to convince myself.

Still, I am unable to shake the fact that ours had been a peculiar arranged marriage.

We did not meet even once before tying the knot.