𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕿𝖜𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖞-𝕱𝖎𝖛𝖊

~✧~

Finally.

At last all the preliminary exams had been taken and all the students could look forward to the coming Christmas.

They had completed the last day of school this year yesterday and all those who were going to their families for Christmas were already on their way to the train. The Thestrals were still pulling the clattering carriages in the early darkness, taking the students safely to the station.

Taraphina didn't say a word the entire journey, not even listening to the ongoing conversation between Tom, Abraxas and Theodore. She just stared into the darkness and kept thinking of her sick mother, no matter how hard she tried to distract herself, it was no use. Again and again her thoughts returned and left her no peace. She had hardly slept in the last few nights because of the excitement and uncertainty.

Tom was used to having little sleep and could manage without it, but with Taraphina he felt the effects of the lack of sleep very strongly. She was inattentive, her eyes small, her bags deep and her eyelids heavy. In summary, she looked terrible.

Tom had to honestly admit that he was reluctant to leave her alone in this state, but the journey he had to make was important to him. Taking her with him was not an option.

"Tara," Tom said, placing a hand on her shoulder when the brunette didn't respond.

Taraphina wheeled around until her wide, startled eyes met his. Tom gave her a soft smile, a rarity, and reported, "We are here my dear."

Taraphina only nodded in response.

Carefully she followed Tom out of the carriage and gratefully took his hand to get down the steps safely.

The cool air seemed to settle instantly on her skin, making her snuggle even more into her dark cloak. Along with the others, she then made her way onto the warm train.

Her luggage was already stowed in her compartment and her owl Silver was already sitting in her cage.

As always, she took a seat by the window to gaze at the scenery and waited for the train to finally start moving.

"Tara, you and Abraxas are coming to stay with us for the New Year, aren't you?" asked Theodore when Abraxas and Louis were not yet with them, as they were still saying goodbye.

"Yes I think so," Tara replied a little surprised as she was pulled out of her thoughts.

Theodore merely nodded with a smile, hoping his attempts to distract her would help somewhat, "I take it you haven't bought a dress yet, like every year."

Tom chuckled beside her, "Of course she hasn't yet, as if our Taraphina would take care of any business in time for once."

Tara rolled her eyes, "You don't even know if I haven't already bought a dress in Hogsmead."

"I doubt that my dear, you haven't asked my opinion yet like you usually do, you were just complaining about the cuts and so I highly doubt you found what you were looking for".

Tara sighed, she would like to retort now, but unfortunately she couldn't think of a good answer, "I hate you Tom," she replied simply out of context, although he gave her no real reason at that moment.

"We all know that's not true, love."

"Fuck you."

"You?" asked Tom rhetorically, grinning, "I'd love to."

"Theo please tell me you brought alcohol," the brunette pleaded, annoyed with Tom and with everything else. Without fiery liquid she wouldn't have the nerve for the train journey.