𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖎𝖗𝖙𝖞

~✧~

"Taraphina."

"Taraphina."

"Taraphina."

Again the voice whispered, "Where are you my child?"

Tara narrowed her eyes and gazed around the dark room. On silent soles she wandered through the darkness, it was silent; except for the reverberation caused by her own movement. The strange yet interesting smell of death was in the air, but it had been a habit for a long time. She reached one of the walls and leaned against the cool, damp stone clunker. The added chill made the young girl shiver.

Uncertainly, she pushed herself off the wall when she suddenly had the feeling of someone's presence next to her. She was about to start running to escape, but before she had a chance to muster the necessary speed, bony arms encircled her body. Tara looked around in panic.

Laughter echoed in the room, "I've got you."

Tara tried to fight back, wriggling in her attacker's skinny arms but not having enough strength.

"Let me go," she said sullenly, squirming around.

The person obeyed, letting go of her and looking after the sullen child with a thin smile.

"How did you get so good at this?" the young witch wanted to know, crossing her arms in front of her chest.

"I've just had a lot of practice, darling. When you're older, you'll beat me at it I promise."

Taraphina sighed, but then nodded somewhat optimistically, the few words giving her motivation.

She walked over to the tall, slender woman and hugged her around the waist, as her arms didn't reach any higher. The woman did the same and also wrapped her arms around the girl. Both bodies cold, both skin faded and partly sunken.

Smiling, despite little strength, she lifted the four-year-old child and carried her to the other side of the room, half of which was even darker. There she laid her down on a pile of blankets and cloths, which at least provided a little warmth.

"Sleep well my sweet Taraphina," the woman whispered.

"Night Mummy," the little girl replied and already she was the main character in her very own dream world.

Taraphina slept not long but peacefully for the time being. She had expected a day like no other, monotonous, boring and completely dominated by darkness; she knew no other life, after all. It was always just her and her mother. They played and slept, there was nothing else to do. She only knew everything inside the room, so practically nothing. What living ment was unknown to her.

It was only when she slowly woke up that day that she knew something was different. It began with the smell she perceived through her nose; it didn't smell of death, rather of lime, mountain mallot, neroil, orange and grapefruit, collogne. A smell the little witch had never experienced before and it made her panic. She had never perceived a single one of the scents before. Quickly she opened her eyes. Hands pressed her firmly against a well-fed human body. 'Who was that?", Taraphina wondered. She wanted him to let go of her. She began to struggle, putting her small hands against the large body and trying to push it away; wriggling her legs, flailing her hands, but her attempts seemed useless.

She heard a cough behind her, quickly turned around and saw her mother lying in a pool of blood. She could swear she saw the scrawny woman blink one last time, but then she lay motionless on the floor. In the bright light emanating from a wand, she could look at the woman she called mother so precisely for the first time. The beautiful, long hair, almost as dark as ebony. The beautiful eyes, almost as green as emeralds. If Taraphina knew what people called an angel, she would certainly have called her mother one that day. For she, she was truly an angel; kind and loving, but unfortunately also cursed.