17. Loft Music

Bobby was dead. The safe house was no longer in lockdown. Most importantly, she was free.

Standing in the hidden elevator that she had no idea existed, the shirt she had on engulfed her small frame.

She peeked over at the agitated shirtless man, he seemed distressed, a frown embedded into his scarily handsome features.

After learning of the shocking twist of events, he had resorted back to his hard shell. No longer in that light, airy mood.

Wordlessly, Vito helped her down from the desk and began tugging his shirt off. He then escorted her towards the gigantic bookcase, which she soon realised was fake as he pushed a button and it unlocked.

A silver elevator replaced the books and in they went.

"You need to leave." His husky voice ordered, something was seriously wrong but she didn't dare to ask. "Someone will find you some appropriate clothes and escort you out back where you'll find an SUV waiting for you. You will be free to leave, however, you must maintain omertà at all times."

"Omerta?" She asked curiously, the doors closed and he reached over to press a button. Underground level.

Bringing a hand up to pinch the bridge of his nose, the man struggled to keep his composure. "It's a code a silence." He explained briefly. "I'll be able to find you if you break the oath, it is not something to be taken lightly. Understood? The safe house is no longer safe, so even if you try to go to the polizia about this, you will not be able to find me."

She blinked, she was happy she could return to normal life but the looming fear that if she said anything about her ordeal was terrifying.

"Got it." Vereena mumbled, nodding her head. "I won't tell a single soul, I promise."

More like she didn't want anyone to kill her in her sleep. She couldn't die yet, she still hadn't completed half of her bucket list.

At least she could tick off 'met a real-life mafia guy' and 'got kidnapped' in one go.

They waited silently as the elevator started to move.

He stared at the side of her head, sensing her nervous energy and he snorted. "You want to know something funny?"

She wondered if that was a trick question, flickering her gaze on him for a mere flash. She asked, "That depends, is it really funny or will I end up with your dick in my mouth?"

It was quickly becoming clear that whenever she was alone with him one of them ended up having a little too much fun.

That made the corners of his sinful lips curl.

His voice was strong and controlled. "It is much worse then that. You see, if you stayed here any longer, I'd end up falling in love with you, topolina."

So much for being funny, she kept her eyes glued onto the lift doors.

Her breath hitched, she swallowed harshly. "That sounds... threatening."

His smile widened, he found her rather amusing.

"I'd fall in love with a woman like you." Hypothetically speaking, of course, but he knew she was smart enough to understand him. "I'd kill for a woman like you. Die for you. I'd end up going clinically insane trying to keep you close to me. I wouldn't be able to share you with the rest of the world because I don't know how to love in a healthy way."

She would become his obsession, his dark nature would end up slowly killing him.

His darken soul filled with scorn, covered with hated would eventually suffocate her. 

Her forehead began to ache, and she knew her eyebrows were coming together in confusion; it was an expression she made all too frequently.

Vereena kept her attention elsewhere, staring straight ahead. Hers on the other hand was soft, hesitant, almost like was was afraid to reply. "Well then, it's a good thing that bullet is being dodged."

There was no denying their chemistry, although he was harsh on everyone around him, there was this easy-going aura when they were together.

They were a match made in burning hell. The reason he felt so familiar was because their souls knew each other.

"Indeed, it is." The man continued speaking, undeterred. "I am not a man who is made for loving, I destroy everything I touch. I would destroy you in a heartbeat if you let me and I don't want to do that. I don't want to ruin you."

The doors opened, and the sight of countless men littered the basement floor. Each of their gazes fell onto the boss and the girl.

Nobody said anything as she awkwardly stepped away from him, her head turned to find him.

He simply gestured over to a nearby stranger, who speed walked over to them.

"Milano will sort everything for you and take you home." Blunt, straight to the point. He didn't seem very bothered at her departure.

In fact, he began to step out of the elevator and head over to his awaiting mob when she cleared her throat.

"Goodbye, Vito." Her murmur was quiet, almost inaudible.

Before he walked away, her eyes made contact with the man she knew would be littering her mind for endless nights.

He looked over his shoulder, sending her a tight-lipped smile. He truly meant it, a warmth covering his dusk regard.

Her short stay had come to an end, and although she was pleased, there was a nagging feeling that told her otherwise.

Why did it feel so bittersweet?

His steady voice followed suit, bringing her back down to reality.

"Addio, mousey. I wish you all the best, che le nostre strade non si incrocino mai più."

May our paths never cross again.

Little did he know, he had put a hex on his own words.