Sixteen • Burning

A man with a cane is staring right back at him with widened eyes.

• • •

Dazai stays still for a moment, and not like a regular person that would avoid eye-contact–because it has to be some kind of mistake–Dazai just stares back at him. His expression is neutral and he isn't looking back at him with the same kind of shock that the man has.

Chuuya notices him staring at something, he isn't too sure what he's looking at because it doesn't seem like he's spaced out. So, he puts his arm around the back of the booth and turns around to see who Dazai's looking at.

He turns back immediately, but he looks more annoyed if anything.

"What's his deal?" he asks, and Dazai finally breaks eye-contact with the man.

Except the only issue with that is that said man starts walking closer. Dazai shrugs at Chuuya's question, and then he looks back up, watching the man limp towards them.

"Dazai...?" the man asks. "Oh, how good it is to see you again. I heard about what had happened."

Before Dazai replies, he looks over at the two of you and simply asks–mind you, right in front of the man– "Do we know him?"

The man's jaw clenches for just a brief moment, but just long enough for all of you to catch it.

"I don't believe we've met before," the man says politely. "I'm Dazai's uncle, Mori Ougai."

Oh, that's cool. Totally, perfectly cool.

"Fukuzawa had told me about what had happened," he explains. "Unfortunately I, myself, had been stuck with a patient. They had to undergo a major surgery and..." he pauses for a moment, "...he didn't make it. He was really young and the family was devastated."

His grip on his cane tightens, "I wish I was there for you, Dazai, I do. I'm glad that it was no other than Fukuzawa that was there to help you during that time."

"So you've been living here the entire time?" Chuuya questions, because why did no one know that Dazai actually had family here–?

"No, I moved here a year ago," Mori clarifies. "I didn't know Dazai was living here, either." He looks over at Dazai, and Dazai can hear a bit of a bite in his voice. Was he upset that Dazai didn't tell him he lived here? Was he mad that he had to see him again? Or was it just completely unintentional?

"I'll have to leave now, but I do hope that we will have time to catch up, Dazai."

Dazai looks back at him, his eyes slightly rested. "I hope so too, Mori. It would be a nice refresher, and maybe you could help me remember a few things."

• • •

And after all of that was over, Chuuya walks the two of you back to your apartment. Dazai turns back, "Why is that none of you know of Mori?" You and Chuuya both glance at each other. "You've never said anything about your family," you tell him. "We assumed it was because–" you stop speaking when Dazai nods, mentally filling in the blanks.

"He seems nice," Chuuya says. "But it's still weird for a man that has been living here for a year to just notice their nephew, especially considering the accident was weeks ago."

Both you and Dazai nod at that, unable to say anymore.

"I'll be going home now, I'll see you two soon," Chuuya announces, turning around and fixing his hat as he makes his way to his car.

You and Dazai make your way into your apartment. You grab the keys, unlocking the door and stepping in with Dazai following you.

"Well that was a nice but odd morning," you say, walking over to the kitchen to get water.

He chuckles, following you there, "It sure was." He grabs a glass for himself as well, filling it up just enough for him to actually be able to finish it all. After both of you have finished your water, you put the glasses in the sink.

"Hello," Dazai says, leaning one of his arms on the counter.

"Hi," you say back, biting back a smile. "How are you?" he asks, letting a smile form on his lips.

God, it feels good just to see him like this.

"I'm good," you reply, giving him back the same smile. "And you?"

"I'm also doing well," Dazai says, nodding his head down once, "besides my uncle randomly showing up at a coffee shop, I am."

Before you can reply to that–he starts speaking again, and he lifts himself off the counter with his arm. "Can I be honest?" he asks, closing his eyes for a moment. "Always," you answer, closing a bit of the distance between the two of you.

"I feel like I'm on fire, and all I'm doing is spreading it–" he says, opening his eyes to look at you. "–but something tells me that I've felt like this for a very, very long time. Something tells me that I should be running away from all of you, that I shouldn't let you get so close, that I shouldn't even be telling you this–"

"But God, deep inside I know that I should be here, and I'm just scared that I'm going to listen to the wrong part of my mind and make everyone leave."

You pause for a moment before responding, letting his words sink in.

"Dazai, nothing you say or do will make any of us leave," you tell him, and it's only out of instinct that you cup his face and make him look at you. "I'm glad you're telling me how you feel because it'll only help us all. I'll be honest it is hard to understand that things aren't the same anymore, but they don't have to be."

His body relaxes in your touch, and his eyes glance down at your lips.

"We all love you, and we're all here for you. Even if it isn't exactly how it used to be, it'll still be just as good," you say, trying to reassure him.

Except the only thing that you don't tell him is how scared you are.

"Thank you," he says, voice coming out in a whisper.

His head leans towards one of your hands, and his own comes up to cup your face. Then there's shock, because he starts to lean in, eyes unfocused but still looking at your lips.

And right when he's about to kiss you, catch your lips with his own—

His forehead leans against yours, making a little distance between your mouths again.

"I'm sorry."