Prologue

Anari's POV

Turning over on my queen sized bed I grabbed my phone from my side table. I had a few notifications which mostly consisted of emails which were cleared and messages. Opening the message app I went to to the one that interested me first.

'you wanna go skating?'

My cousin also known as Naylin . She was light skin and short much like all the women in my family, she had an average sized body.

She was the type of female that always ALWAYS wanted to do something.

But lately I hadn't had time, School had been my main focus since my grades had dropped.

Getting up I immediately made my way to the bathroom to release my bladder. Once finished I washed my hands then pulled out my facial scrub. After scrubbing my face for five minutes  and brushing my teeth, I turned the shower on and waited til the mirror was foggy then hopped in rinsing the soap residue from my face.

Turning around I grabbed my loofah and scrubbed with my dove bar soap then my bath & body works 'pink chiffon' body wash.

Wrapped in a fluffy pink towel I made my to my room, sat down putting baby lotion all over my skin next I put on a simple lotion and perfume combo from bath and body works.

Making my way into my closet I chose to keep it simple. Pulling out a black t-shirt, dark ripped skinny jeans and black air forces.

'DING'
My phone went off.

'I'm on my way'

Turning towards the mirror I put on carmax and did a quick wing liner. Combing my curls out until they were just slightly wavy I pulled on a black beanie, making my look for today complete.

Walking down the hallway to the living room my phone vibrated in my hand

'outside'

Looking over at my mom I smiled cause she means the absolute most to me. "Nay outside we going skating. You need anything while I'm out?"

"No just for you to be safe and let me know when you on your way back I love you"

I nodded "I love you too". Moving towards the door I slapped my brother in the back of his head "Bye nigga "

Jogging down the steps I opened the door to Nay's red Camry.

"Wassup!" I nodded closing the door, buckling up.

She was dressed simple wearing light wash jeans and as far as I could see a Nike windbreaker, and some nike slides with colorful socks.

Pulling off she spoke "What you been up to?"

Finishing my text i looked at her  "not much I've been working on pulling my grades back up. Ma was on my back about it so I had some meetings and got extra credit work. Now my grades back where they need to be."

Yeah, so I'm not a bookworm or the smartest but when I put in effort or want results I get them.

She nods.

" That's good I know she had told me you was failing tests left and right I been meaning to check in with you about it"

I have terrible test anxiety. Since I was younger it's been something I've dealt with. So my grades would slip a lot and I'd have to get with my teachers about extra credit just about every semester. The only class I really excelled in was English but that's simply cause it was my favorite subject. Math was harder and science was so boring it was hard to focus.

"Yeah, but I'm getting better at taking tests. Ive picked up better study habits and learned to pace myself and breathe when i get upset in the middle of a test and instead of just skipping over questions completely I skip em and come back. I talked with my math teacher and he lets me get extra time when I need it for testing or tutoring"

She nods saying "I'm glad you're trying cause ya ma was upset saying she was worried you'd stop caring about school completely "

I shook my head. "No I'm graduating on time with at least a 3.5 period!"

She smiles "I damn sure better see you walk."

. The rest of the ride we listened to music occasionally talking about a song. She always tells me I have great taste in music so of course I had to put her on to some new music.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
An hour or so later, we had arrived. SKATE-ZONE the huge colorful flashing sign on the building read. A crowd of people stood at the door as we got out walking towards it. Soon as we set foot inside my day turned out so much better than expected. It was the day that changed my life for the better I'd like to think. The day that made me turn into who I am today. It was the day that made me understand exactly what people mean by HOME is where the heart is.

Edited:MAY 24,2018