Chapter 14

The ogre, cat and donkey were still talking about how nobody should ever trust Rumpelstiltskin when it comes to making deals with him.

" His exit clauses are sneaky." Donkey told the ogre.

" Yeah, I... What did you say?" Shrek asked the donkey not understanding what he meant by exit clauses.

" I'm talking about the exit clause. Used to be, you had to guess his name, but now everybody knows who Rumpelstiltskin is." Donkey said as Kobe agreed with what he said.

" He's right, Shrek. That little scoundrel is nothing but trouble. He and his witches killed my best friend." Kobe told the ogre while she was angry with what Rumpelstiltskin did.

" Guys, I read the fine print. There's nothing about an exit clause in here." Shrek told the cat and donkey.

" Well, you didn't expect him to make it easy for you. Here, let me show you both how it's done." Donkey said before grabbing the contract with his teeth and placed it on the ground, starting to fold the paper.

" I didn't spend all that time around them witches without picking up a few tricks. Your tiny, little ogre brain couldn't begin to comprehend the complexity of my polygonic foldability skills." Donkey implied.

" What are you doing?" Shrek asked the mule who was still folding the paper.

" Hey, I can't get my origami on unless you back off. Thank you." Donkey responded before he went back to folding while Shrek and Kobe looked at each other for a moment.

" OK, here's what you gotta do. You fold this piece, make this letter match up here, bring this corner up here, and if you do it just right, it will show you what to do." Donkey said which surprised Kobe since she doesn't know how to make an origami.

They both saw that Donkey's paper folding started from letters together to form the exit clause. Once Donkey was finished, he showed the folded up paper to the ogre.

" There. Try Lou's Bliss." Donkey said which made Shrek give him a confused look while Kobe just facepalmed.

" Who's Lou?" Donkey asked.

" Give me that!" Shrek exclaimed as he snatched the paper and did some folding himself, and then it showed a heart with the true words of the exit clause " True Love's Kiss."

" True Love's Kiss." Shrek read the folded up paper.

" Hey, you have to take me to dinner first." Donkey stupidly replied thinking it was about him being Shrek's true love.

" Not you dummy! Shrek's wife Fiona!" Kobe angrily explained to Donkey before facepalming and he finally understood.

" According to fairy tale law, if not fully satisfied, true love's kiss will render this contract null and void." Shrek read the paper.

" Donkey, you did it!" Shrek congratulated the donkey before he picked him up and hugged him with Donkey struggling.

" I gotta admit it, Donkey's a real genius right here." Kobe admitted as she gave the mule a smile.

" Look at you! If Fiona and I share true love's kiss, I will get my life back!" Shrek said with excitement.

" OK! This isn't a petting zoo! So where is this Fiona?" Donkey asked the ogre.

" Well, that's just it, you see. I don't know." Shrek responded as Kobe and Donkey understood.

" You know, when I lose something, I always try to retrace my steps. So, where did you last leave her?" Donkey asked the ogre.

" The last time I saw her, I told her I wished I'd never rescued her." Shrek said which made Kobe chime in saying " I know. You told me."

Shrek's eyes widened in realization before he said " Oh, no." Kobe looked up at him confused on why he said oh no. Shrek knew the only place to look was the place he first rescued his wife: the dragon's keep and that's where he went with Kobe and Donkey following him. This time, there was no lava surrounding the castle. Shrek ran across the bridge, hoping to find Fiona.

" Wait, Shrek! Are you crazy?! That's the dragon's keep! They keep dragons in here!" Donkey called out to the ogre.

" He's right Shrek, it's not safe over there!" Kobe called to Shrek as well but he didn't hear them.

" But then again, I don't see any dragons around here." Kobe thought to herself. Donkey tried running across the bridge to stop the ogre, but he screamed when one of the boards he stepped on broke, so he quickly went back.

" OK, yeah, fine! Go ahead! Kobe and I are just gonna hang back here and find us some breakfast!" Donkey called out to the ogre as he did not wanna cross the broken bridge.

" You said it because there's no way I'm crossing this bridge." Kobe said as she was too scared to cross the bridge herself.