Vol. 9, Ch. 17: Omnis Undefined

Start from the beginning

David sat there in silence. He, puzzled by the bizarre information she had just dropped on him, began to tap his fingers on the desk slowly. Superpowers? How was that even possible? Since when did that exist in this world? After another moment of pausing to regather his thoughts, David looked Miyuki in the eye, speaking in a quieter tone. "I'll tell you this: My guys are currently investigating the school because of Mr. Taro's murder. If what you say is true and the evidence backs you up, then under no circumstances can we tell the public about the existence of the supernatural. I don't even trust the government with this knowledge because who knows what monster they will become because of it." David then returned his notebook and pen into his backpack, then taking out his laptop from that same backpack to address another problem.

"I wish you had told me earlier that you had no other place to go. The police station has received reports of you loitering at a public bus stop." The detective then typed on his laptop and went to search for something, then spun his computer around so Sekken could see the screen. "This is a homeless shelter near the town's capital. Though it is funded by the mayor, it's still pretty shit, but if you want somewhere to stay for a little while without getting into trouble, then that may be your best bet. I can't have you stay at that bus stop or else you could get a fine."

"Man, a homeless shelter? That sucks! Aren't they always super gross?" Miyuki couldn't help but cringe when she took sight of the rundown building. With the sight of old peeling paint and rusty door hinges, she could only wonder just what part of the shelter the mayor funds?

"It's either that or you live on the streets and risk getting mugged in broad daylight by criminals. By this note, the Barricades, who I'd presume to be those hooded figures, are coming after you. We can put you in protective custody, but if they truly have superpowers then I'm not sure how 'protective' having the constant attention of the police would be. If you want to lay low for a while then that's all I can do for you, Miyuki. This is your choice to go to that shelter or not. Unfortunately for you, your parents aren't here to hold your hand until you're eighteen. You have to make your own decisions and live for yourself."

Miyuki gave a slow nod before standing up from her seat. David then printed out a referral sheet for her to take to the shelter for whenever she chose to stop by. Once that paper was in hand, Miyuki somberly walked out of the police station without another word.

Sekken was now left alone on the streets of New Tako Town. Her arms hugged her sides while she kept her head low to avoid the view of other passing pedestrians. New Tako Town was a decent sized town, ranking close to the average area of a standard town in Japan. Though its size was average, its population was not. The town suffered from severe cases of overpopulation near the town's heart mainly due to having the highest poverty and homeless count in the surrounding district. Every block one could see at least three or four tents being put up in the middle of alleyways or even public sidewalks. Walking through the large crowd during rush hour reminded Miyuki of getting through the transition period in Maguro High, but instead of crowds of at most thirty students with occasional brawls sprouting here and there, it was crowds of thousands of grown adults on each block with police cruisers parked and on standby.

Sekken usually never came to the heart of New Tako. Her adoptive mother always tried to keep her in the third of the eight different areas of the town. The third area was the suburban section and where they lived. To make travel more convenient, it also included Maguro High and the Junior High. The heart of the town was considered the first area which had the town hall, important office buildings, the hospital, and the homeless shelter just to name a few. Being in the heart for the second time in a week was something she was reluctant about due to the sheer anxiety the crowds caused her.

While Miyuki strolled by herself down the sidewalk, the wail of sirens could be heard passing by, and two police cars would be seen disappearing down the middle of the town's main street. What followed the sirens was the crashing sound of windows. From behind Miyuki, two grown men stood in their hooded outfits with rags over their faces. Each of them held stones which pelted the windows of the store until it broke, allowing the two to freely enter the store and loot it clean of its items.