Vol. 2, Ch. 4: Not-so-happy Little Accidents

Once PE passed, Miyuki could return to a class that always brought her at ease: Art class. Rows and rows of large wooden tables, paint splattered tarps blanketing their tops, chairs of six organized around the table as a group, painting canvases lined up at the back of the room, and it all looked very colorful and exciting to her. Miyuki was a fan of color, visual arts being a hobby she had considered quite often in Junior High. The ability to turn something so blank like a sheet of paper or an empty canvas into a full picture that people find value in was interesting to her. Needless to say Miyuki had high hopes for this class, rightfully so too because the teacher, Ms. Cumber, was a lot more expressive than Mr. Taro, and a lot less demanding than Coach Seijo.

Miyuki sat down in her chair, tying her long wavy rose colored hair back into a bun as she waited for other students to pile into their chairs. Yesterday, Miyuki was alone at her table. Most of the students that sat at her table either missed their first day or they were skipping out on class. Thankfully Miyuki wasn't alone this time, because one of those art students arrived and took a seat next to her. It was none other than the short one from before, what a nice surprise! Megami. In reality, she wasn't that short. Compared to Miyuki, Megami stood at just about her chin in height. Though that was the case, it didn't take away from the fact that Miyuki would still know her as 'the short one' due to being the shortest one out of the only three people she knew so far at Maguro High.

In an attempt at some small talk, Miyuki would start with a simple greeting in hopes that she could get to know her new neighbor. "G-Good morning, Megami!"

Megami sat there for a moment, resting a hand on her chin, letting out a slow and quiet "hey.". There wasn't much else to her reply than that. The student did not care to look at Miyuki, because she was focusing on getting her supplies out for class.

"How are you?"

"Good." her neighbor would sigh in the same bored tone

("Man, what's her deal? How am I supposed to have a conversation with these single word responses?") Miyuki pondered annoyedly, but still wouldn't give up on trying. "O-okay then... that's good, I guess. Have you seen Manaka today?"

"Yeah." Megami would tiredly nod.

"Hmm.. I-I didn't see her todaaay, I was just wondering if you knew where she was''

"Doctor's appointment..."

"O-oh, that explains that then." Miyuki awkwardly laughed, deciding to take a break from trying, and turn her attention to Ms. Cumber who just started class.

The art teacher stood in front of the class, introducing the first art project of the semester: A landscape painting. Miyuki hasn't played too much with paint before, she usually stuck with color pencils, but she was always open to exploring new art tools. They would not start the actual painting that day though, because everyone had to learn how to use paint effectively, via getting familiar with what the medium was like. After all, making one mistake with the paint will only take a creative mind to know how to cover it up. Though creativity is encouraged in an art class, not everyone is born with the same skills at cover up, so getting a lesson on preventing mistakes would leave less students disappointed.

To get familiar with using paint, everyone received a piece of cardboard, a paint brush, and some acrylic paint of random colors, and were allowed to paint freely. Miyuki received a green bottle of acrylic, while Megami got the one Miyuki was hoping for: red. In a bit of jealousy, Miyuki would ask her neighbor: "Hey, wanna trade?"

Megami would look at Miyuki's bottle of paint from the corner of her eye. Really? Trade of something so trivial like paint? Megami didn't seem to care enough to deny, so she would scoot her paint over in between them, saying: "Sure. I like green more than red." it was true, green seemed to fit Megami more than the red did, so she was willing to sacrifice it for the other color. Better yet though, she would add: "or, we could just share."