Letters

Twilight's POV

The sun was streaming through the window when I woke up.

Wild had disappeared from my side.

But I could smell food from downstairs, so I had an inkling of his whereabouts.

I sat on the edge of the bed, stretched, then got out of bed.

Legend had woken up and was waiting impatiently for Wild who was cooking something over a fire (which was thankfully in the fireplace).

Wild started when I stepped off the ladder.

But he calmed down when he noticed it was only me.

We ate a quite breakfast of omelettes and milk, before heading out too the village. We practically had to drag Wild to get him to come with us.

Wild didn't leave my side, keeping his hood up and casting his face in shadow.

I understood. He didn't want anyone to laugh at his scars. But the Ordonians would never do that.

They were my family, after all.

We talked with everyone before they had to start their chores around the village.

We then grabbed our weapons and headed out to Faron Woods.

We encountered a few Deku Babas, and the occasional bublin or Bokoblin. None were infected.

But, even as the sun started to dip below the horizon, there was no sign of our fellow heroes.

We turned around to head back for the day, when I heard a familiar cry.

"Mr. Link-waaiiittt!!!"

The Postman ran up to us.

Wild hid behind me. It was a little weird how fearless he was in battle, and how scared he was of strangers or people in general.

He handed me two letters before running off again.

I studied the envelopes.

One was in my Hylian, and was addressed to me.

The other was in an unfamiliar tongue, but still addressed to 'Link'. Thankfully the characters for names hardly changed.

I showed the other letter to the other two.

They both shrugged.

I opened it to see if I can figure out who it belongs to, or where it's from.

"It's from a Zelda..." I said, struggling to read the text. "It says something about a Riju—"

The letter was snatched from my hand. Wild had grabbed it and was now holding it up to his face, squinting in confusion.

He turned the paper and seemed to be trying really hard to understand the words. But he couldn't.

"Wild..." Legend said in an uncharacteristically soft voice. The Cook looked up. "Can you read?"

Wild shook his head in shame.

He squared his shoulders, brought his arms to his chest, and seemed to want to make himself as small as possible, as if he was preparing for something.

Something that I didn't like the implications of.

I put my hand on my Cub's shoulder, who tensed even more and only calmed down when I removed my hand.

"It's okay that you can't read. I couldn't write for years after people usually learn to." I said kindly.

"I barely knew how to fight when I went on my first quest." Legend said. "But we learned. And maybe, someone back home can teach you too."

Wild smiled and nodded. "Thank you." His voice was raspy and hard, but it was a sign that Wild trusted them.

And so they took it.

As they walked back through the woods, I opened my letter.

It was from my Zelda-Dusk. Her writing was sloppy as if it was rushed.

Dear Link,

I'm sorry if this catches you at an inconvenient time. But I feel that I discovered another way into the Twilight Realm.

I froze on the road.

The other two kept walking until they noticed I wasn't following.

"Twi?" Legend asked. "Are you okay? What's wrong?"

I just kept reading.

I don't want to write it down, in case it gets to the wrong hands, but come see me as soon as you can.

Take your time.

Zelda

A smile broke across my face.

I can see Midna again. ​​​I thought. Midna!! My mind screamed.

"Twi?" Legend tried to see the letter, I hastily put it away.

"I'm fine." I assured him. "Now, let's see if we can help Wild with this reading problem. Yeah?"

We talked on the way back to the village. The letter seemed to have a heartbeat as it pumped in my pocket.

Take your time.