Chapter 1: 10 Years

Journal Entry #35

It's been a while since I've written in this thing. Haven't had much happen. It's also been ten years since dad's death. Mom is still trying to use her magic, but we keep having to tell her to rest or else she'll hurt herself. She hasn't met anyone else since dad had died. 

Aldara and I have grown a lot.. God I wish dad was still here... He's missed so much already... I mean a lot....

He's missing me and my sister growing up... I started growing my antlers, so I guess the elktaur part of me decided to show. Aldara and I are starting to learn how to help with the crops, and the two of us are trying to learn about the rift... since well... dad's not here and he's more experienced than us. It's harder than dad makes it look, he makes it look so easy when fixing it.

I know that years have passed, and... I know that magic exists but... sometimes magic doesn't always work... and... I'm starting to feel like maybe... it's already too late.... like it's no use waiting anymore. Or if-

"Divoky, are you coming honey?" Divoky lifts his head from his journal, looking out the window, "Coming!" He closes his journal and puts it away, then hurries outside and gets to Adalie, "What's up?" Adalie hands him a full basket of vegetables from the crops, "Here's the last of the harvest. We made sure everyone got part of it, and this is ours. Help me bring it to the cottage." Divoky carries the basket and Adalie follows to the cottage, and they set the baskets down on the counter.

Divoky looks around, "Wait, where's Aldara?" "She's helping your grandmother gets herbs and roots." Divoky looks at his mother, and sighs, "Mom... how... how does magic even work?" Adalie lifts her head, "Well, it works different ways, like all magic is unique." "But... what if it doesn't work the way you want it to?" There was a small silence and Adalie sighs, "Sometimes when things don't work the first time, we go back to square one and try until it works. And never give up on what we're working for." Divoky looks around and he looks back at her, "So... we can't give up on dad either? Even though he's gone?" Adalie nods, and hugs him, "It's alright."

Divoky smiles and Aldara gets back, "I'm back!" She sets her basket down, "Hey Divoky, you ready to go to the rift?" Divoky nods, "Yeah, let's go." Adalie smiles and  the twins both kiss her cheek and she smiles, 'Love you two. Stay safe." "We love you too mom!" They quickly go and run to get to the rift and Adalie goes to her bedroom and sits down, covering her face. 

.

.

.

.

.