Chapter Twenty-Five: For The Sake Of Normalcy.

Start from the beginning

"But you don't have to worry, Maria. I would never hurt you," He said as he hunched forward and placed his elbow on the table. Maria didn't appreciate the closeness so she slowly leaned against the chair. She put her hands on her lap and held her phone tightly in them. Sean gulped. It hurt him to see her back away like this from him, "I am not a bad man, Maria." Sean whispered – his eyes softened. "You don't have to be so guarded around me. I know you don't have the prettiest picture of me in your head, but I am not a bad person. You just don't know me yet," He stifled the hurt he was feeling.

"And whose mistake is that?" Maria finally spoke – looking dead in his eyes. She didn't blink – nor did she show any emotions to him.

Sean nodded his head and leaned against his chair – removing his hands from the table. He agrees with her there. It is his mistake that Maria never truly knew him – as himself – not as a pawn Ruby ploy in her life. "It is my mistake. I agree with you there." He replied – looking down at his intertwined fingers resting on his lap. "But that can change. We can change that," He emphasized.

Maria sighed, "It is too late for that, Sean. I lost all trust in you the day I came to know who you really were," She answered him. "You were never my friend, Sean. You were doing it all for your own selfish reasons. You were Ruby's puppet." She threw a well-deserved insult at him.

Sean bit the inner part of his lower lip between his teeth. He couldn't ignore the fact that her last comment hurt him, but he chose to ignore it because he also know that it is true. He was just a puppet. "I might have been plotted in your life, but the man you knew as your friend – he was really me, Maria. I have always been real to you." He told her. His words earned him a snigger from her. She doesn't believe him. Sean let out a breath and looked dead in her eyes, "I am not lying to you. I couldn't be fake around you. I don't know what it about you, but even when I was aware of what I was supposed to do – my feelings for you were real – they still are." He pressed upon his words.

Maria blinked as she stared back into his eyes. She feels nothing for him but pity. "I am a married woman, Sean." She reminded him.

"Marriages can end," He replied directly.

Maria clenched her jaws, "I love him," She didn't hesitate. She could see Sean flaring his nostrils at her words, even when she knew that it would only make Sean angrier – she continued, "I love him. I love my husband. I love my Silas. And there is not in this world that can change my mind about it." She insisted. Her eyes soften when she witness the gloss in Sean's eyes, but he refused to speak or look away from her. She heaved a sigh, "Sean, I am happy with him. You need to understand that. I can never be happy with you. If you keep on doing what you are doing – you will not only ruin my life but yours as well, because what you want can never happen. You cannot force someone in or out of lives," She tried to explain.

Sean was still silent. He didn't speak – but kept his eyes fixed on her. "I don't know why you are so persistent about this Sean. I don't know what games you are playing, but I am tired now." She exhaled and glanced at her crutches resting against the table. Sean's eyes followed hers – his gaze softened. "I have enough problems to deal with. And if I am honest with you, for the first time in forever I feel like my life can finally get a taste of normality. Please, don't ruin it for me. Please, let me live in peace." Her voice shook – her eyes glossed – she sounds desperate.

Sean lowered his gaze. Maria could hear him sniffle. He took a moment to collect himself before he looked at her – his eyes pleading to her. "I can give you a better life, Maria. Don't you remember what Silas did to you? He doesn't trust you. He doesn't love you as I do." He tried to explain his point – his eyes got teary. His voice shook as well.